Coolpad F1 8297w

Guest bryfly

Guest goodfella123

I think you could be right there.

I got confused as the halo i looked at was a 9976 which appears to be the 7" tablet version.

At least the F1 supports HSPA even if it doesn't support 4G.

Guest Maringer

From that link, it sounds as though the "F1 Halo" is their name for the 8297 (non-W) for the English-speaking world. Does anyone else but for China actually use TD-SCDMA, however? Seems a bit strange to set up an English page for a phone which won't really work outside of China itself!

No hint anywhere that LTE is supported by any of the F1 designations which isn't surprising as I don't believe any MediaTek devices support LTE yet. MT6595 is due to be the first chipset with LTE support in coming months.

The 8297W supports both of the 900/2100MHz WCDMA frequencies used pretty much everywhere so is the ideal phone for westerners. Most of the Chinese LTE devices seem only to support TD-LTE which isn't really any use for 4G networks elsewhere.

I have to say that, personally, LTE is of no interest to me at present. Support in the UK is growing but the service is too expensive in comparison to good, old-fashioned HSPA which is good enough for most uses and the networks also seem to have stringent 4G download limits. What's the point of paying quite a bit more money for faster downloads if you're going to run up against your small data limit anyway?

Guest dakok

@Robi4OK and others involved :)

I am pretty sure about reason for failing with that Google package.

The archive name should be exactly this:

"presetgms-Coolpad 8297.zip"

Without quotes, of course...

Another suggestion is to put the file into the SDcard root

Edited by dakok

Guest Robi4ok

@Robi4OK and others involved :)

I am pretty sure about reason for failing with that Google package.

The archive name should be exactly this:

"presetgms-Coolpad 8297.zip"

Without quotes, of course...

Another suggestion is to put the file into the SDcard root

Finallyyyyyy....   :D  Thanks to everybody

I change name of file and put to both to internal and external cards. Try it hundred times and one of them was successful. 

One more thing, i am not sure whether it's important or not, but my successful try was when my phone was connected to my PC via USB. :)

Edited by Robi4ok

Guest dakok

Great :D

I saw you at 4PDA forum. I tried several times to register there, but failed - i think due to cyrilic letter captcha system.

If there is something interesting there regarding Coolpad F1 - please bring the news and links over here...

Guest Robi4ok

Great :D

I saw you at 4PDA forum. I tried several times to register there, but failed - i think due to cyrilic letter captcha system.

If there is something interesting there regarding Coolpad F1 - please bring the news and links over here...

In 4pda i saw similar phone named "Coolpad Great God F1" but i'm not sure that it is coolpad f1 8297w. Anyway in that forum many interesting things. I'll post links a bit later when a go home :) 

Also i can sign for you in that forum. Later you'll change password :D

Guest bryfly

Singapore post is a reliable service. My order from aliexpress was sent thru Singapore post and it arrived in 6 days to Croatia.

Seems a bit hit and miss. Ordered my first coolpad f1 from Chinatronic arrived in 11 days via Singapore post, ordered my second one via http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Coolpad-F1-mtk6592-octa-core-mobile-phone-android-4-2-os-5-0inch-IPS-HD/1619172497.html, on the 6th may, they gave me a tracking number on 9th may still no sign of it tracking, wonder if this is supplier or Singapore post......not surprisingly supplier blames Singapore post.

Edited by bryfly

Guest dakok

Thanks Robi, very kind of you :)

@bryfly

The blame is most probably on seller, I got TN three days before ET store at aliexpress got Coolpad F1 in stock :D

And it was valid a week later when it appeared in 17track tracking service.

So it seems that sellers reserve tracking numbers at SG post (and other postal services, of course) in advance.

It is a normal thing with 90% china sellers. You just need to be patient and accept it as it is. :D

Guest bryfly

The blame is most probably on seller, I got TN three days before ET store at aliexpress got Coolpad F1 in stock :D

And it was valid a week later when it appeared in 17track tracking service.

So it seems that sellers reserve tracking numbers at SG post (and other postal services, of course) in advance.

It is a normal thing with 90% china sellers. You just need to be patient and accept it as it is. :D

Wife will not give back the first one ;) and need to play again :D, the first one which was delivered about 3 weeks is still in transit, according to SG post.

Guest goodfella123

Bugger. I've just been contacted by DHL and have had to pay 13 quid VAT and duty for my order. The shipment is tracking now and hopefully, I should receive it during the next few days.

Didn't think I'd get away without paying it, however, so not too many complaints.

How is the £13 calculated? Was it a percentage of the price you paid?

Guest Maringer

Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure how they calculated the VAT/duty. The seller marked the value of the package as US $46.00 on the customs declaration but I've no idea how this might relate to the £13.00 fees charged. I've a feeling I had to pay around the same amount for the Chinesse tablet I bought a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, the seller for that tab wrote the value of the package as US $30.00 on that occasion. Perhaps the £13.00 is just the amount DHL charge for these Chinese electrical items?

If you don't require the phone too quickly, I'd probably recommend going for China Post or Singapore Post to reduce the chance of VAT/duty being charged.

Incidentally, I ordered a Nillkin Super Frosted Shield hard case from an Aliexpress seller earlier today. I've ordered this one to be sent by China Post so it will take a while to arrive. I'll provide a review on here when it arrives. It cost me less than 5 quid so I don't mind to much if I get charged some import duty on this one, as long as it is only a small amount!

Guest Maringer

My 64GB microSD has arrived and, after copying all my stuff across to it, I'm now using it in the phone. Seems to be working OK so far.

As I'm not able to mount the microSD card on the PC (an issue not fixed on the ROM I'm currently using), I needed to copy the data across from my old SD card to my PC before copying it back onto the new card. I also remembered reading that formatting an SD card in the phone could brick it? Wasn't sure if this was just the stock ROM or recovery or not, so I decided not to risk anything and didn't insert the SD card in the phone straight away. The 64GB card came formatted as exFAT and, as I wasn't sure if the phone supports this file system, I decided to play it safe and format the card as FAT32 externally. Windows will only allow a maximum FAT32 partition size of 32GB so I formatted it to use the full capacity of the card using Gparted (I have an old Linux netbook gathering dust in the corner of the room which proves to be useful from time to time!). I don't expect to require files over 4GB in size so FAT32 should be fine. If solid NTFS support proves to be available, I'll probably reformat the card to us that file system.

Copying the data across to the 64GB card took a good while (30-odd GB of data takes a while to transfer to microSD cards!), but all seems well at the moment. I'll report back here if I encounter any problems.

Guest dalyer

Thought the sdcard formatting issue was specifically in the AOSP ROM on Neetrom?

But maybe it's a more general issue.

Is it not advisable to format sdcards using the SD Association's formatting tool?

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

And you probably know that you don't need a dedicated Linux box when there are many easy to use live CD/DVD distros (and PendriveLinux for running them off USB flash drives) available.

Edited by dalyer

Guest dakok

@robi4ok

I am still waiting for 4PDA entrance :D

That forum topic and first post links are mainly for China version of our phone (it is marked as TD-SCDMA)

It has some interesting F1 WCDMA stuff there, too - but later on, after 10th april, when the coolpad f1 wcdma sale started

Coolpad F1 WCDMA = Coolpad Great God F1 WCDMA = Coolpad F1 8297w = Coolpad 8297w

Found out few more forums:

http://www.androidiani.com/forum/altri-terminali-mtk/396480-coolpad-f1.html

http://bbs.cnmo.com/forum-16181-1.html

P.S.

Warning about dangerous SD card format (from phone) is written in flashing guides for Jonzalvo's roms

He made 5-6 of those and can be found at spanish forums listed in the  first post 

Edited by dakok

Guest Maringer

Thought the sdcard formatting issue was specifically in the AOSP ROM on Neetrom?

But maybe it's a more general issue.

Is it not advisable to format sdcards using the SD Association's formatting tool?

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

And you probably know that you don't need a dedicated Linux box when there are many easy to use live CD/DVD distros (and PendriveLinux for running them off USB flash drives) available.

Not sure if the SD formatter allows you to select your preferred filesystem? I'm guessing it would automatically format in exFAT which is what I wanted to get out of in the first place.

It was no trouble to do on the netbook, however. I previously used the Lubuntu netbook for web browsing before I finally caved and bought a Windows laptop a few years ago. As I don't need to use the netbook for anything else (dust it off just a few times a year), I find it useful to have available so I don't need to muck around with LiveCDs and the like.

Guest Robi4ok

@robi4ok

I am still waiting for 4PDA entrance :D

That forum topic and first post links are mainly for China version of our phone (it is marked as TD-SCDMA)

It has some interesting F1 WCDMA stuff there, too - but later on, after 10th april, when the coolpad f1 wcdma sale started

Coolpad F1 WCDMA = Coolpad Great God F1 WCDMA = Coolpad F1 8297w = Coolpad 8297w

Found out few more forums:

http://www.androidiani.com/forum/altri-terminali-mtk/396480-coolpad-f1.html

http://bbs.cnmo.com/forum-16181-1.html

P.S.

Warning about dangerous SD card format (from phone) is written in flashing guides for Jonzalvo's roms

He made 5-6 of those and can be found at spanish forums listed in the  first post 

No problem. Just write me PM which login you want, password, e-mail, your phone model. I'll register you, after a while you'll get email and just confirm your account and change password.  :) 

Guest dalyer

Not sure if the SD formatter allows you to select your preferred filesystem? I'm guessing it would automatically format in exFAT which is what I wanted to get out of in the first place.

Don't think you can choose the filesystem but why is exFAT a problem?

Guest Maringer

I just wasn't sure that the Coolpad F1 actually supports exFAT. Their blurb claims that SD card support only goes up to 32GB which might indicate they haven't got specific support for exFAT. As I was unsure about the SD format/bricking situation due to Jonzalvo's warnings, I didn't want to risk putting the unsupported card in and have the phone automatically attempt to format it. This probably wouldn't have occurred in any case, but I thought discretion was the better part of valour.

I'd have preferred to format the SD card as NTFS but, again, don't know if the F1 supports this or not, so FAT32 it was.

Guest Maringer

Looks like MIUI and Lewa OS are both available for dual-boot.

Dual boot looks cool but, to tell the truth, I don't really see the point in it other than showing how clever you are!

If you could have a stripped back, low-power OS with much longer battery life available (like the new power-saving modes on some of the high-end phones), it might be useful.

Edited by Maringer

Guest slime00

yes, I agree with you. But, since most roms are in english only and sometimes my girl will use my phone (and she only speaks italian), maybe having two roms could turn useful. As for the power-saving, I think that the processor "as it is" is way less avid than the ones on high-end phones, even with those power-saving modes they harldy arrive at evening with some energy on it. But it would be cool to save even more energy, that's sure! :)

Guest Robi4ok

Can anybody root the phone with official 021 version?

And is there more safe ROM? In jonzalvos ROMs is a warnings with formatting SD.

Guest Maringer

The format SD issue has probably (possibly?) been resolved in some of the Chinese ROMs listed on the various web sites, but I'm not sure if anyone has really tried these out as yet. The issue is that, even with translation tools, it is pretty difficult to understand what is discussed on those forums!

Personally, I've installed Jonzalvo's AOSP ROM but (as mentioned earlier in this thread) formatted the SD externally beforehand to ensure I didn't need to worry about this problem.

If I get the chance, I may well try out a Chinese ROM or two over the weekend, but I don't plan to format the SD card!

Guest Robi4ok

I'll say that Chinese forums are even with tools impossible to understand for me :D

Please deal with your results after trying Chinese ROM.

I have 021 official version. So before deciding which ROM to install i have to solve the problem with rooting.