Coolpad F1 8297w

Guest bryfly

Guest bryfly

Well got to admit defeat at the moment, after many days of trying to alter my MAC address with the help of dadok I have failed, for those that do not know, me and the wife have a coolpad F1 each with the same MAC address, this stops us both connecting to the home router at the same time.

Have since been in discussions with Aus9 in the china phone arena forum, it looks like the coolpad although saying it is rooted has only partial root, he is trying to help me with obtaining full root which apparently is the only chance of changing my MAC address, it looks like anybody who maybe ordering more than one phone for use in the same house should ask the supplier to make sure the phones have different MAC addresses, having read a bit about it now it is quite common for Chinese suppliers to use the same MAC address for whole batches of their phones, saves them money on licencing apparently.

Edited by bryfly

Guest h3dshot

Yes I did mean the sim you linked above. Wasn't even aware there was a sim card the size of a credit card :p

Sadly no sim cutting tool yet :(

I've also begun to become irritated by the number of Chinese only apps and notifications popping up when the language is set to English :( There's a widget on the homepage I can't remove either which is fully in Chinese :/

Can anyone compile a list of apps (Chinese ones) that are safe to remove from the system? Also is there a way to disable the coolui update message for firmware? Its really irritating me popping up every hour :@

Guest Maringer

Hi bryfly.

I've just had a quick search on the forum you mentioned and have read through the thread where aus9 is attempting to help you.

Not sure how different mine is to yours, but entering the su command followed by id leaves me with "uid=0(root) gid=0(root)" and no extra bits afterwards.

However, the prompt doesn't change to "root@Coolpad8297W".

Not sure if this indicates I have 'true' root or not?

Edit (before posting!): I was using Kinguser as the SU app, but after switching to SuperSU, I now get "root@Coolpad8297W" after running the SU command. Also "uid=0(root) gid=0(root)" after the id command.

This would seem to indicate that I have 'true' root, I'd have thought?

Is there any other test you'd like me to try out which might be helpful?

Guest bryfly

Hi bryfly.

I've just had a quick search on the forum you mentioned and have read through the thread where aus9 is attempting to help you.

Not sure how different mine is to yours, but entering the su command followed by id leaves me with "uid=0(root) gid=0(root)" and no extra bits afterwards.

However, the prompt doesn't change to "root@Coolpad8297W".

Not sure if this indicates I have 'true' root or not?

Edit (before posting!): I was using Kinguser as the SU app, but after switching to SuperSU, I now get "root@Coolpad8297W" after running the SU command. Also "uid=0(root) gid=0(root)" after the id command.

This would seem to indicate that I have 'true' root, I'd have thought?

Is there any other test you'd like me to try out which might be helpful?

There probably is, but Aus9 is leading the blind in trying to assist me, what I have found on my phone is I seem to switch between root and unroot when checking with the terminal, this seems to coincide with the SU changing between the one I installed and the one that was on the phone in the first place, sometimes it tells me there is another one running do you want to uninstall it to which I say yes, but it seems to resurrect for some reason..... feel free to join in with Aus9 he will be able to answer questions I cannot....cheers bryfly

Guest Maringer

Sorry, don't really have time to post elsewhere at present as I'm heading away for the weekend tomorrow.

The way I dealt with the two different root apps was to install SuperSU then use Titanium Backup to 'freeze' the Kinguser app. This effectively hides it from the system. I haven't attempted to uninstall Kinguser though this should be possible as well.

As an alternative, have you attempted to try one of the MIUI ROMs? This has integrated root support as part of the system which might perhaps work OK?

If you don't have any luck with this, I'll be around again on Sunday night or Monday, depending when I get home from my weekend away. I'm actually planning to try out MIUI myself this weekend, but I'll take a nandroid backup of my current ROM so I can easily switch back if anything needs to be tried out.

Guest bryfly

Well I do not know how or why but I changed the ROM to a custom ROM and it changed the MAC address as well, so now got 2 working phones on wifi, does this make sense to anybody ?, I guess the mac address was built into the custom rom?

EDIT:- flash coolpad rom v20 and mac went back to the one that is the same as on the other phone.....

Edited by bryfly

Guest dalyer

What ROM were you using when both had the same MAC address?

What ROM did you change one of them to?

Have you tried the same new ROM on both to see if the same thing happens again?

Guest dakok

According to your confession, you're not very experienced with this stuff :)

OK, here we go

It seems that you received a pure China OS version.

First thing is driver. It should start automatically when you connect the phone to PC.

For that you have to enable Delveloper option and turn on USB debugging there. Developer option

in phone settings appears when you fast tap on build version in about phone section.

Connect your phone to PC then and driver installation will start.

If it won't

download it here and install it on PC. 

For ROOT, use Chinese version of Vroot v 1.7.7 for PC or newer

After you install the driver, install Vroot and connect phone to PC.

You need SD card - you can format it in Windows - Fat32

Download a fresh MobileUncle apk,

recovery.img (CWM),  and Gapps here

Move that to SD card.

Switch on Developer mode in phone settings, USB debugging on, too. Turn off Fast (Quick) Boot in settings if it is there

Make sure that you have at least 50% battery capacity!

1) Do the Root with the Vroot app (I guess that you did that one already :))

2) Start MobileUncle from your phone (it is on SD card now)

inside Mobile Uncle start the recovery option, you will see your recovery.img from SD card there

follow the instructions

3) Switch off the phone (or skip 3) and 4) if you reboot to recovery from mobile uncle tool)

4) Turn it on by holding vol+ and power button for more than 10 seconds (until the CWM interface shows up)

5) Look for Backup and Recovery there - find backup to SD card there and Just Do It! :)

after few minutes it is over - you will see a message.

Find reboot in CWM menu and do that

Copy clockworkmod folder from your SD card to PC - just in case...

Now go to CWM again by holding vol+ & power button....

Install zip from SDcard -> choose zip -> your gapps file (zip)

Reboot to system

Later you can flash miui rom. Procedure is similar:

Installation instructions:
- Download zip file (rom) and Gapps and transfer that to SDcard
- Turn on debugging on your phone, turn off quick boot, turn off phone (some folks remove battery now:))
- Press vol. up and power button together for at least 10 seconds.
- You are in CWM now (probably)
- Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition
- Mounts and storage: Format System, Cache, Data. Go back
- Advanced: Wipe Dalvik cache, Reboot recovery
- Install zip from SDcard -> choose zip -> your rom (zip)
- Install zip from SDcard -> choose zip -> gapps (zip)
- Reboot to system
Leave your phone now for 5 minutes, let it take a breath.

For this MIUI - you wont need to flash gapps - since it is inside already!

If you find another miui, without Gapps - don't flash Gapps together with your rom. First the rom, reboot, than the Gapps 

Edited by dakok

Guest pheadweb

Hello!

I purchased F1 from Vickmall and I haven't received it yet. I have read all pages in this thread and I have a question:

The phone will be rooted and I believe it should have the first official rom (015). I'm afraid to do anything with other roms (at least yet) so I'm planning to stick with the official one.

From your experience, the camera is working ok if I use camera and video fv-5? Because I've read that the official rom is not using the camera at it should be and make blur photos and awful videos.. some others say the opposite..

Will I make the best photos and videos with the official rom and paid services as camera fv-5 or I should really go for miui or aosp?

Thanks

Edited by pheadweb

Guest dakok

Hi pheadweb!

It would be very good to make a CWM backup anyway. If something goes wrong, you can restore original system state

in a minute :)

And you can set Google Services that way, if you don't get them from the seller.

I tested original camera (photos) and it was OK. Didn't see much difference with the first multilanguage MIUI.

P.S. Just testing a Color OS rom (OPPO's original OS) and it looks awesome! China weather app recognized my location and

it has a great weather widget with animation. 

It has only 2-3 chinese apps that can be easily uninstalled.

Bad thing is that it is not very fluid. I hope China devs will make it better (this is the first release)

Edited by dakok

Guest slime00

dakok, is the rom multilnaguage or english/chinese only? Except for the AOSP and Emjot's MIUI, it's very hard to find some!

Guest dakok

No, you can hardly find a custom rom from chinese devs that has more than english/chinese UI.

I do not recommend to install Color OS for now, but it is worth to take a notice

and to try some newer, mature version after a while.

Guest goodfella123
Hi everyone,

Received my F1 with Nillkin frosted case from JD just ten days after placing order.
Total cost delivered was US $207 and delivery was by Equik and TNT. 
There appears to be no charge for UK customs as there is no value written anywhere.

I am trying to write an idiot's guide (yes that is me included) for the Coolpad F1.

Firstly, the links for my purchase:

Phone - White or Silver 

Case - Pink, White or Black

I should also add JD are the official partner for Coolpad and they responded very quickly to all my emails.

Coolpad F1 WCDMA - The Idiot Guide

You do not need to insert a SIM card to do the following, but you will need a micro SD card.
I already had a 32gb micro SD card 'class 10' which can be purchased for less than US $20 from various websites.

Part 1 - first steps out of the box

Charge battery

Turn on phone (button on right hand side)

Swipe screen to unlock if required

Pull down notification bar

Press settings cog

To change language scroll down to the 'A' with 3 dots under it (A...)

Choose english

Next go to 'about phone' in settings at the bottom.

Select 'system update settings' at the top then untick both boxes 'auto check for update' & 'download package via wifi'.

Still in 'about phone', note the build number - this will tell you which rom you are on. Mine was 4.2.015 (official version 015).

In settings, now turn on the wifi and set up your wireless connection. 

If you get a request to update firmware select 'later'. You will now need to go back to 'system update settings' at the top and untick 'auto check for update' again.

Part 2 - Preparation

Format your micro sd card on your PC, not your phone. Format the card to FAT32 and choose default allocation size.

Next grab the following to your PC:

Framaroot.apk

Superuser.apk
 (press the green download button above the related apps)

SuperSU.apk
 (press the green download button above the related apps)

MobileUncle.apk and recovery.img (These two files are in the CWM_Recovery_Coolpad_F1_8297W.rar folder)

G-apps.zip (google apps & play store)

Copy Framaroot.apk, Superuser.apk, SuperSU.apk, MobileUncle.apk, recovery.img and the G-apps.zip straight to the top of the micro SD card.

Put the micro SD card back in your phone and turn it on

Go to settings and switch on Developer mode (in 'about phone' tap 'build number' 6 times or until you are notified you are now a developer).

Now go back to settings and you should see the new option called 'developer options' above 'about phone'.

In 'developer options' turn USB debugging on.

In settings go into 'security' and tick the box for 'unknown sources'. Untick 'make passwords visible'.

Back in settings, if you have an option for 'fast boot' turn it off.

Make sure that you have at least 50% battery capacity!

Part 3 - root, install CWM, backup

Go into the app drawer and select 'file manager'.

In 'file manager select 'apk'.

Now select the 'framaroot.apk' you copied to the top of your micro SD card. This will install the app. 

In framaroot if the option 'install superSU' is chosen, then just tap on one of the three words at the bottom. The third one 'barahir' worked for me.
You will now be asked to reboot.

Now select MobileUncle.apk you copied to the top of your micro sd card to install it. Press nothing on the chinese screen.

Inside Mobile Uncle select 'recovery remote'. You will see your 'recovery.img' on your micro SD card so select it.

If you are told you do not have root just install Superuser.apk, then install superSU.apk.

In superSU when you are asked to, just select 'normal'. At some point SuperSU will delete the installation of superuser but this is fine.

Once complete go back into MobileUncle. 

In mobileuncle again select 'recovery remote' and choose your 'recovery.img' file. If rooted it will work and you just follow the instructions and reboot into recovery.

You now have CWM (Clockwork Mod) on your phone. Use the vol up/down button to move through menus and the power button to select an option.

In CWM go to backup/recovery options at the bottom and then choose the top 'backup' option to make a backup to your micro SD card.

Once complete after a few minutes, go back to the first screen and reboot the system.

When re-booted switch off the phone as normal.

Take out your micro SD card and copy the clockworkmod folder from your SD card to PC as a precaution if anything goes wrong.
If something does go wrong in the future, you can copy the folder back to the top of your micro SD card and restore your phone using CWM back to its state at the time of the backup.

Part 4 - install g.apps

Turn on the phone while holding vol+ and power button for more than 10 seconds (until the CWM interface shows up)

Select install zip from SD card

Choose zip from SD card

Now select your gapps file.zip

Press 'yes - install'

Now choose 'go back'

Select 'reboot system now'

When the phone reboots you will be taken through the google setup process.

You can go through all the steps above without a SIM card.
When you do insert your SIM card, the GSM slot is only 2G, so put your SIM in the W/G slot.

Huge thanks to dakok's post 636 here:
You can install other custom roms following his instructions at the bottom of that post.

If anyone spots any mistakes please could you comment and i will edit accordingly.

Just out of interest, would it be possible to have a device specific folder for the Coolpad F1, rather than all the related threads just floating around in 'other devices' section?
Edited by goodfella123

Guest slime00

Coolpad 081 out for TD-SCMA version (rumors are that a coolUI 6.0 is on the way, it could upgrade to 4.4!)

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=2306570670&uk=2419323345

Update Introduction 

[Official] 081 Release Notes: 
Fix: System user interface error problem 
Fix: The camera reverts to 4-fold magnification 
Added: Camera and Gallery UI5.5 style 
Added: Dual 3G function (card 2 can be registered to the 3G network) 
Optimization: ringtones crescendo increase setting items (off by default) 
Delete: Point Road, mobile chess application 
Update Details 
[Personal Update] 
Add full ROOT privileges 
Add SuperSU authorization management 
Excluding the built-in spam software 
Excluding the built-in software residual garbage icon, without having to manually delete! 
System program is not streamlined unmodified, maintaining the original features!

Guest dakok

Hi everyone,.......

Just out of interest, would it be possible to have a device specific folder for the Coolpad F1, rather than all the related threads just floating around in 'other devices' section?

Never seen so detailed guide - it is the mother of all idiot-proof guides, realy! :D

I have to link it in my topic, or better - make a separate topic for it in the Other Devices section - I think it might contribute to the start of

a single Coolpad F1 section.

You may name it as you already did - Coolpad F1 WCDMA - The Idiot Guide (a lot of people are afraid to touch anything on their phones

so this could fire up some courage :))

Coolpad 081 out for TD-SCMA version (rumors are that a coolUI 6.0 is on the way, it could upgrade to 4.4!)

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=2306570670&uk=2419323345

I tested it this morning - nice but with much too many china apps and services - othervise it is very good.

It would be nice to have a developer here - someone to make those interesting china roms clean and multilingual...

Guest h3dshot

Hey dudes, managed to cut my sim down and we have life!! (put it in the slot closest to micro sd card to get 3g connection). Made a call and received a text, no issues so far.

One problem I'm having is that it's not recognising my sd card and it's telling me that it's damaged :s this may be because it's formated to exFAT (required by the rom I used in old phone).

If I recall correctly wasn't this an issue with the firmware? I'll try and format it back to FAT32 when I get a chance

Guest bryfly

Can somebody tell me about MAC addresses and how they are stored, are they in the phone or on the ROM. I installed jonzalvo note3 rom which works fine as it changed the MAC address I wanted to get rid of, but I do not understand why it changed the MAC address which I thought was contained in the heart of the phone, unless the MAC address is contained within the ROM.

Tonight I flashed the coolpad v20 rom, started it up and it changed the MAC address back to the same one as the other coolpad we have, anybody able to advise why / where and how this MAC address changes around.

Also is it possible to hack the v20 ROM about to change it within it, if indeed that's where it is.

Edited by bryfly

Guest goodfella123

make a separate topic for it in the Other Devices section - I think it might contribute to the start of

a single Coolpad F1 section.

You may name it as you already did - Coolpad F1 WCDMA - The Idiot Guide (a lot of people are afraid to touch anything on their phones

so this could fire up some courage :))

I'll give it 4 or 5 days to see if anything needs changing.

What rom do you have installed dakok?

I now have MIUI rom v03 but can't see how to delete apps off the home screen, even in 'edit home screen'???

Guest dakok

@headshot

Just format the b**** card to FAT32 :D

Do it from windows (just to not get used to formatting from the phone - hint: Jonzalvo roms)

@goodfella

I have that MIUI, too. Miui has a different logic - there is no Apps drawer there.

It is all Apps.

Some do not like it, but it is rather normal concept when you get used to it.

You can group apps in folders, I think.

Here you have a nice MIUI - Xiaomi explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JHrHG_vj5I

Edited by dakok

Guest h3dshot

@headshot

Just format the b**** card to FAT32 :D

Do it from windows (just to not get used to formatting from the phone - hint: Jonzalvo roms)

Haha I will do at some point tomorrow, have guests around at the moment

Edited by h3dshot