Hudl 1.3.1 Update

Guest menace1944

Guest flurry

I simply plugged in the hudl and followed the instructions in post #10 in this thread:- http://www.modaco.com/topic/365672-hudl-backup-script-under-review-re-write/

having downloaded the script folder from that thread it's exactly the same command that I was running to read the system.img from the hudl, I was just typing it in manually and only pulling the system.img - confusion cleared. I copied the commands from the script in this thread here

EDIT: this would also explain why the img's you created and the img I created appeared to be very similar, we made them the same way. This still leaves me stumped as to why my approach of copying the image off, adding the superuser requirements, and flashing it back didn't work!

Edited by flurry

Guest daytona955

EDIT: this would also explain why the img's you created and the img I created appeared to be very similar, we made them the same way. This still leaves me stumped as to why my approach of copying the image off, adding the superuser requirements, and flashing it back didn't work!

I've updated my Hudl - it now reports 'Build Number: JDQ39.20140424.153851", and I've successfully rooted it using the method you had trouble with.

I got the rkflashtool from here:

Plugged into my OpenSuSE 64bit Linux box, I got the Hudl into flashing mode (reset & vol-up buttons).

Then did './rkflashtool-linux p' (in the directory where I'd unpacked the old root kit) to check the partitioning was the same as the older layout. It was.

I did './rkflashtool-linux r 0x00142000 0x00200000 > system.new.backup.img' to image the current system partition, then made a copy to fiddle with.

I mounted the old root kit image: 'mount -o rw,loop system.root.img /mnt/'

There were a couple of files with the SUID bit set in /xbin:

# ls -al /mnt/xbin/

total 280

drwxr-xr-x  2 root 2000   1024 Dec 12 11:25 .

drwxr-xr-x 14 root root   1024 Nov  1  2013 ..

-rwsr-sr-x  1 root root 104576 Dec 12 11:25 daemonsu

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root 2000  59776 Aug 13  2013 dexdump

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root 2000   9620 Aug 13  2013 io

-rwsr-sr-x  1 root root 104576 Dec 12 11:23 su

I copied them to my local directory, and unmounted the old root image ('umount /mnt').

I mounted my prospective new rooted image (the copy of my new backup image).

I copied the two SUID files (su, daemonsu) from my local directory to /xbin on my new rooted image.

I made sure the copies were owned by root.root and had the SUID bit set:

chown root.root /mnt/xbin/su

chown root.root /mnt/xbin/daemonsu

chmod +s /mnt/xbin/su

chmod +s /mnt/xbin/daemonsu

Then I checked:

# ls -al /mnt/xbin/*su*

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 104576 May 21 11:11 /mnt/xbin/daemonsu

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 104576 May 21 11:07 /mnt/xbin/su

Happy, I unmounted the image, and flashed it to the Hudl:

# ./rkflashtool-linux w 0x00142000 0x00200000 < system.new.root.test.img

And rebooted:

# /rkflashtool-linux b

And it worked :)

I'm uploading the image to dropbox incase any one wants it. When it's finished I'll post a link. I'm afraid it's not a totally clean image as it's got Busybox installed. The image is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8pdut5vyx5vw2q/system.new.root.test.img

Edited by daytona955

Guest flurry

aah, I definitely missed checking the file permissions, rather foolishly I thought they would gave already been set - evidently not! Thanks for the guide daytona955

Guest sp1nc3r

Hmm, my hudl is rooted via kingo with various tweaks via android tuner, modaco toolkit and xblast.

The first attempt at the ota update gave no visible errors. I have the new kernel version but the old build number. Google + and chrome would not work and gave 'critical' errors until uninstalled (using android tuner) and reinstalled from the play store. Everything else continued to work as normal and the device is still rooted but the new display settings aren't present.

I was able to go through this process a couple of times with no obvious update errors but no actual build update. I did not have the problem with Google + or chrome on the second or third attempts.

Finally, I decided to undo all of the system tweakstweaks individually, short of unrooting it, and try again. Now the update just fails.

At least the Hudl is still working for the moment. I don't suppose there is much point in doing a factory reset at this point?

Guest flurry

I've updated my Hudl - it now reports 'Build Number: JDQ39.20140424.153851", and I've successfully rooted it using the method you had trouble with.

I got the rkflashtool from here:

Plugged into my OpenSuSE 64bit Linux box, I got the Hudl into flashing mode (reset & vol-up buttons).

Then did './rkflashtool-linux p' (in the directory where I'd unpacked the old root kit) to check the partitioning was the same as the older layout. It was.

I did './rkflashtool-linux r 0x00142000 0x00200000 > system.new.backup.img' to image the current system partition, then made a copy to fiddle with.

I mounted the old root kit image: 'mount -o rw,loop system.root.img /mnt/'

There were a couple of files with the SUID bit set in /xbin:

# ls -al /mnt/xbin/

total 280

drwxr-xr-x  2 root 2000   1024 Dec 12 11:25 .

drwxr-xr-x 14 root root   1024 Nov  1  2013 ..

-rwsr-sr-x  1 root root 104576 Dec 12 11:25 daemonsu

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root 2000  59776 Aug 13  2013 dexdump

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root 2000   9620 Aug 13  2013 io

-rwsr-sr-x  1 root root 104576 Dec 12 11:23 su

I copied them to my local directory, and unmounted the old root image ('umount /mnt').

I mounted my prospective new rooted image (the copy of my new backup image).

I copied the two SUID files (su, daemonsu) from my local directory to /xbin on my new rooted image.

I made sure the copies were owned by root.root and had the SUID bit set:

chown root.root /mnt/xbin/su

chown root.root /mnt/xbin/daemonsu

chmod +s /mnt/xbin/su

chmod +s /mnt/xbin/daemonsu

Then I checked:

# ls -al /mnt/xbin/*su*

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 104576 May 21 11:11 /mnt/xbin/daemonsu

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 104576 May 21 11:07 /mnt/xbin/su

Happy, I unmounted the image, and flashed it to the Hudl:

# ./rkflashtool-linux w 0x00142000 0x00200000 < system.new.root.test.img

And rebooted:

# /rkflashtool-linux b

And it worked :)

I'm uploading the image to dropbox incase any one wants it. When it's finished I'll post a link. I'm afraid it's not a totally clean image as it's got Busybox installed. The image is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8pdut5vyx5vw2q/system.new.root.test.img

bloody marvelous, having followed your steps to chmod and chown the relevant files and reflashing it works perfectly, thank you! That's saved that bugging me!

Guest flurry

Hmm, my hudl is rooted via kingo with various tweaks via android tuner, modaco toolkit and xblast.

The first attempt at the ota update gave no visible errors. I have the new kernel version but the old build number. Google + and chrome would not work and gave 'critical' errors until uninstalled (using android tuner) and reinstalled from the play store. Everything else continued to work as normal and the device is still rooted but the new display settings aren't present.

I was able to go through this process a couple of times with no obvious update errors but no actual build update. I did not have the problem with Google + or chrome on the second or third attempts.

Finally, I decided to undo all of the system tweakstweaks individually, short of unrooting it, and try again. Now the update just fails.

At least the Hudl is still working for the moment. I don't suppose there is much point in doing a factory reset at this point?

does android tuner change the build.prop at all? If so it could explain why the version number didn't change as it's held in the build.prop

Guest bigpmc

I rooted with Kingo, I don't want to lose root and am very inexperienced with these things. Should I steer clear of the update, since it seems only to be a screen fix and I never had problems with that anyway

Guest sirius-c

i believe the saying goes......."if it aint broke dont fix it"

but the latest Kingo from their web site works for rooting v1.3.1, i know so because i used it last night.

Just make sure all your drivers are installed properly for the Hudl.....if you need some instructions I'll post here what i did in win 7 pro x64

http://www.kingoapp.com/?utm_source=Android%20ROOT

Edited by sirius-c

Guest flurry

I rooted with Kingo, I don't want to lose root and am very inexperienced with these things. Should I steer clear of the update, since it seems only to be a screen fix and I never had problems with that anyway

It depends on whether you're prepared to learn how to fix it if something goes wrong! I was having hard time rooting as I couldn't use the kingo app, if you're on windows and update but lose root then as sirius says, the kingo app should restore it

EDIT: if you've run the kingo app before then that's the worst likely outcome, though flashing with rktools (windows) or rkflashtool (linux) should get you out of trouble should kingo not work.

Edited by flurry

Guest sp1nc3r

does android tuner change the build.prop at all? If so it could explain why the version number didn't change as it's held in the build.prop

It does allow build.prop changes. I don't think it changes anything unless requested to though. Also don't have the updated display settings that should be there after a successful update.

Guest flurry

It does allow build.prop changes. I don't think it changes anything unless requested to though. Also don't have the updated display settings that should be there after a successful update.

aah yes, if there's no reset display option then it's not just a build.prop error

I'm not familiar with android tuner - is there a way to backup it's settings/tweaks and restore them later?

Guest sp1nc3r

aah yes, if there's no reset display option then it's not just a build.prop errorI'm not familiar with android tuner - is there a way to backup it's settings/tweaks and restore them later?

Yes. I have tried that. I'll continue to mess around with various things. The odd thing is that the update didn't fail as such last night. It appeared to complete and it updated the kernel version.

Today the update has not been completing and I've had to restart the device using the pinhole at the back. Admittedly I have changed things in the interim by trying to undo some tweaks individually. Thanks for your input though.

I guess if the worst comes to the worst I'll have to bite the bullet and attempt to flash things properly so that I get more of a feel for what I'm doing. I may just leave it as it is for the moment though as it seems none the worse apart from the mismatched build and kernel versions.

Guest daytona955

bloody marvelous, having followed your steps to chmod and chown the relevant files and reflashing it works perfectly, thank you! That's saved that bugging me!

Excellent! Pleased it helped.

Guest Codmadnesspro

Ok so i've rooted my hudl and I wanted to update to 1.3.1 but when downloading and then restarting it comes up with android laying saying system updating and then says error. So then I thought lets just set it back to factory settings which i then did but then it asks me to download 1.3.1 update which it started to download and then asked for a restart like before and then said system updating and then error. Its in a continuous loop and I really want to start using my tablet again :(.

Guest flurry

few questions to help narrow down the cause:

1.) if you press the reset button (the small hole on the back in the top left corner) and try to power on does it also load to the error screen?

2.) have you made any other changes other than rooting?

3.) how did you root? Kingo or flashing a rooted system image?

4.) if you flashed a rooted system image did you flash it in windows (rktools) or on linux (rkflashtool)

5.) when you say back to factory settings, was this done from the settings menu, or by flashing back a non-rooted system image?

Guest Codmadnesspro

1.It dosn't happen on startup, first when I turn it on it takes me to the setting up the hudl and then when it asks for 1.3.1 update and it downloads and then asks for a restart and then it says system updating and then error. It stays on error for at least 3 minutes. Pressing the reset button just shuts it off and does no difference.

2. I used a boot animation changer but for some reason after formatting the hudl it still has this mario animation on boot. I also had one of those button color changers.

3. I used kingo.

4. Im not sure how you could flash.

5. I went to backups and pressed the factory reset.

Guest kiteboywales

Hi all

Been waiting for this update - but for my mothers hudl which was rooted with kingoo app I think and a modified systemui to remove the tesco T button - it wont update 

So followed this to factory reset the hudl

http://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3569/~/performing-a-hardware-factory-restore-on-your-hudl

It still wont update to the new version - just give an error with an android robot on its back 

Anybody have idea what I can do??

Guest flurry

1.It dosn't happen on startup, first when I turn it on it takes me to the setting up the hudl and then when it asks for 1.3.1 update and it downloads and then asks for a restart and then it says system updating and then error. It stays on error for at least 3 minutes. Pressing the reset button just shuts it off and does no difference.

2. I used a boot animation changer but for some reason after formatting the hudl it still has this mario animation on boot. I also had one of those button color changers.

3. I used kingo.

4. Im not sure how you could flash.

5. I went to backups and pressed the factory reset.

1. I'm not sure where I heard it or came accross it, but I have a vague memory that tapping all four corners of the screen (at the same time I guess?) can bypass the update - if you could get booted into android you could reverse your boot animation and button colour changes which should then let the update run fine.

2. + 5. The factory reset only wipes the user data partition (your data/photos/music etc.) rather than the system partition where the boot animation sits - this is why your boot animation hasn't changed back.

3. + 4. I'm assuming you're using windows if you've used the kingo app to root? If you're up for learning then the easiest way to recover from this would be to use rktools to flash a fresh system over your current one. There's a lot of information in this forum about how to do it - see the sticky threads at the top of the hudl forum. This way is fairly certain to work, however it may require some learning

6. I'm not sure if this is possible, but if you can connect the hudl to a computer you may well be able to use adb to browse the hudl's file system and remove the update .zip from /cache (I think that's where it's stored)

Personally, I'd try option one and then resort to flashing

Guest flurry

Hi all

Been waiting for this update - but for my mothers hudl which was rooted with kingoo app I think and a modified systemui to remove the tesco T button - it wont update 

So followed this to factory reset the hudl

http://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3569/~/performing-a-hardware-factory-restore-on-your-hudl

It still wont update to the new version - just give an error with an android robot on its back 

Anybody have idea what I can do??

you need to put the stock SystemUI.apk back for the update to work successfully - doing this should just be the reverse of how you changed the .apk originally

word of warning though, once you successfully install the 1.3.1 update it loses root access - according to sirius-c kingo works to re-root though if you're using windows

Guest flurry

incase anyone's update is failing due to having a non-stock SystemUI.apk and hasn't got a copy of the original I've added a link to the original here

Guest Codmadnesspro

Could you give me the link the windows reflasher? I couldn't find it on google or im just looking at the wrong part.

Guest flurry

No problem! I've not used it myself (I used the linux version), so I can't say how easy or not it is, but it looks fairly straight forward! The trickiest part for me was rebooting the hudl to the bootloader, though that's described in that thread too

Edited by flurry