Guest dakok

Guest a_stefane

That 043 KK TDSCDMA from yesterday was a problematic one - I couldn't make 

WCDMA patches work.

Now Liutao made one for our phone:

CoolUI 043 KK WCDMA by Liutao

download

224420ciqcqfeqzqerh4nq.jpg

Hi, I installed CoolUI 043 KK WCDMA by Liutao ...

problems:

- autorotation doesn't work ;

- I installed Xposed and GravityBox, gravity seems to have problems because data trafic monitor doesn't work (not showing infos into status bar)

WTF???

Coolpad's Android Devices Have Factory-Installed Backdoor That Impersonates Google Play Services Framework, Says Security Firm

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12/17/coolpads-android-devices-factory-installed-backdoor-impersonates-google-play-services-framework-says-security-firm/

"This update included changing the filename to GoogleGmsFramework.apk. Yes, that is the same filename as the Google Play Services framework.

While the app has no user interface, it could be visible to users from its battery usage. At least, it would be if Coolpad didn't have it appear as "Android System" in the battery stats menu."

As we know GoogleGmsFramework.apk has user interface in accessibility menu (GMS installer) and it serves as gapps installer. 

Article is misleading and it looks like a nice xenophobia example :D

From what I observed recently, all Chinese roms have a fairly large errors. What sense is it to install in Europe? They have different expectations from the firmware.

As we know GoogleGmsFramework.apk has user interface in accessibility menu (GMS installer) and it serves as gapps installer. 

I see you posted in response to that article to correct their misunderstanding. :)

If there is any info I will write it down... I will try to ask him...

Is there a link with all releases listed that can be checked from time to time for updates - e.g. the "parent" folder of the individual links being posted to specific releases/updates?

Thanks.

Edited by dalyer

Guest 77chedu

I don't think so, because it's the same download link as previous versions

At first glance, just looking at the zip, looks like different camera and launcher. I'll flash it during the day

EDIT: Launcher is still apex, but pro.

Edited by 77chedu

Guest userDJJ

CP_DMP.apk (aka CoolReaper) got renamed to GoogleGmsFramework.apk, after they got busted with CP_DMP.apk.
How this affect (allready installed) google play service is unknown to me.

"Android System" process on aosp KK rom  is apk on following path: /system/framework/framework-res.apk , filesize 16,78 MB.
If one still use stock coolpad rom, then can check where exactly those 3 apk are.

PA report:
Edited by userDJJ

So Coolpad masked an advertising app that pushes adds to notifications as a system app.

So what?

If you know how to root the phone it can be simply removed and it doesn't need any special report

since it is a known fact for almost a year or more  :D

Paoloalto super special find about something that China Coolpad owners already know.

CoolUI is meant for China users and they know about the bloatware for a long time.

Edited by dakok

Guest Maringer

I just skimmed through the PA report and it is very dodgy practice indeed. Putting a backdoor in the system is never a good idea, especially as it adds another vulnerability to hackers.

I've already checked my (old) MIUI installation for the dodgy APK files in question and none appear to be installed on my phone. Not too surprising, as I'd expect the Chinese dev community removes this stuff when they produce their ROMs. Hopefully they get rid of all unnecessary clutter.

Ultimately, it doesn't reflect well on Coolpad. I very much doubt they plan to do anything malicious with these backdoors, but their very existence is a problem which makes the phones less secure.

I didn't read report only the article linked and

the comment about GMS apk which didn't look

serious. It looks funny that coolpad replaced

that suspicious app with GMS installer.

I don't get that part???

Update:

System software can not fix the problem, some banks use

Repair cloud, the question can not be used in a live situation

Tip frequent repair GPS unopened problem

Call * # 0 failure mode fixes ART

Call records the name issue is not refreshed after repair unknown number into Contacts

The problem does not close the sliding tray to fill after repair

Even now part of the video player optimized Caton problem

Repair small voice problems

Communicate

Theft mode can not be resolved under the pop-call interface issues

Integration of the new dial pad

Even solve existing problems play no phone signal

Launcher

Even now the card screen repair issues

After modifying the update fixes cascade Home occasionally black page display problems

Camera

Modify the preview area displays gridlines composition problem

Guest cumfun fighter

Think have to replace my new coolpad with some decent smartphone

because coolpad  is now "CoolReaper".   :angry:

Don't think changing ROM solves the problem for sure.   :unsure:

Edited by cumfun fighter

because coolpad  is now "CoolReaper".   :angry:

Don't think changing ROM solves the problem for sure.   :unsure:

Does anybody know about this?

If you use a 3rd party ROM (e.g. AOSP)  then are you safe from the "CoolReaper" issue?

I realise that it may not be used for anything dodgy but as mentioned above its very existence is not good.

Guest apple2005

because coolpad is now "CoolReaper". :angry:

Don't think changing ROM solves the problem for sure. :unsure:

I don't agree with you. My coolpad 9976A is the best phone I had. I rooted it and then never changed the rom. When you screw the phone by installing this and that rom, then don't complain also. My own opinion.