Hudl 2 rooted!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tautology

Nice one. I haven't had much time to mess with the tablet myself, so I'm guessing you grabbed the image from Tesco, modified it and pushed it up through fastboot.

I look forward to the method!

Guest ajsexton

Have to admit I'm new to the android rooting community, though I am a software developer by trade, as I'm not au fait with the exact meaning of the terminology, does rooting the Hudl 2 (which I have to admit I'm considering getting) mean that it will be possible to load completely different builds of Android on to it (assuming some one (possibly me, but probably not in the very near future due to new family) builds one to x86) Im asking this as Tesco didn't update the original so I doubt they will upgrade the 2 to Lollipop

Guest BlueMoonRising

Have to admit I'm new to the android rooting community, though I am a software developer by trade, as I'm not au fait with the exact meaning of the terminology, does rooting the Hudl 2 (which I have to admit I'm considering getting) mean that it will be possible to load completely different builds of Android on to it (assuming some one (possibly me, but probably not in the very near future due to new family) builds one to x86) Im asking this as Tesco didn't update the original so I doubt they will upgrade the 2 to Lollipop

Yes to your question, you could also flash Windows on to it in all probability.

It also allows you to remove the bloatware and Tesco's apps.

Guest thefunkygibbon

Theres not really much motivation to remove all of the Tesco "Bloatware"  as far as i can see its just a launcher which you can easily replace yourself. and a few BlinkBox apps which, granted you can't remove, but they're hardly going to be taking up much space/resources.   People seem to be blowing the "got to remove all the bloatware" thing out of proportion.  Its nothing like a Samsung device!

Theres not really much motivation to remove all of the Tesco "Bloatware"  as far as i can see its just a launcher which you can easily replace yourself. and a few BlinkBox apps which, granted you can't remove, but they're hardly going to be taking up much space/resources.   People seem to be blowing the "got to remove all the bloatware" thing out of proportion.  Its nothing like a Samsung device!

It probably can be shrunk down a little though, after all the 16gb device turns out about 9gb of usable storage if my memory serves me right?

Guest Simon O

It probably can be shrunk down a little though, after all the 16gb device turns out about 9gb of usable storage if my memory serves me right?

Removing apps from system won't really free up that much usable space. Only really the space used by config files etc.

Also it's better to freeze system apps rather than delete them completely. I believe you can disable most of the tesco apps from the standard Settings > Apps > All Apps menu on the tablet so just install Google Home Launcher or another home launcher, freeze the tesco launcher and have a pretty much tesco free tablet.

Or just go to Settings, then Home and change the default launcher back to 'My Tesco'. You can load multiple launchers while you're finding out which one you prefer - just change this setting as you want.

Is it possible to revert to the Tesco Launcher after I've installed Google Home launcher if I don't like it?

I quite like the Tesco cards myself and was also tempted to revert back but I've grown that used to action launcher and being able to change the icons that I can't bring myself to do it