Android 5.0 Lollipop on Hudl2

Guest abulkasam

I'd also argue that Tesco's IT staff who look after checkouts and tesco.com are not going to be the people who produce a 5.0 update (if one ever happens). The annoying thing is that it's locked down; if Tesco won't update it, the least they could do is provide some way to unlock the bootloader and let others figure it out

Guest targetbsp

I have 5.0.1 on my Nexus 7 2013 and it's great.

Hmm... to be fair I only know people that have it on Nexus and Moto phones. Perhaps it's good on tablets!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jase Etheridge

Y'all!

Yeah it would be nice to see lollipop on the Hudl2, I'm not sure how much the original got updated; But if Tesco are looking to be in this for the long-haul then they will need to

look into looking after their installed used base with some updates.

Cheers

Jase.

Don't see why they've never committed to any major android updates previously.

Doubt hudl2 will be any different. Sad I know, but probably true, like the original hudl by next Christmas either hudl3 will have appeared or Tesco's will have lost interest on tablets/android....

Guest ajsexton

From a look at the twitter requests over the last couple of weeks, theres plenty of people asking about it, they are still being non-commital but keep using words that imply they intend to but dont have a date yet, and my favourite... (not to me)

"Hi Jamie, if they are going to confirm it, it will be in the future. Regards, Alex"

https://twitter.com/Tesco/status/548940428167626753

... well they arent going to confirm it in the past are they??

Guest benzodiazepines

I asked on Twitter and got a slightly more hopeful non-committal answer: "it's likely however, I'm unable to confirm this at the moment."

An OTA update to fix various problems was promised but it hasn't turned up and people are still hoping for Lollipop, it would be nice if it ever happened but just can't  see it based on Tesco's hudl support history - many may need to lower their expectations and accept their hudl2 for what it is now. :ninja:

Guest jamie_

From a look at the twitter requests over the last couple of weeks, theres plenty of people asking about it, they are still being non-commital but keep using words that imply they intend to but dont have a date yet, and my favourite... (not to me)

"Hi Jamie, if they are going to confirm it, it will be in the future. Regards, Alex"

https://twitter.com/Tesco/status/548940428167626753

... well they arent going to confirm it in the past are they??

Thats my twitter account

Guest jamie_

An OTA update to fix various problems was promised but it hasn't turned up and people are still hoping for Lollipop, it would be nice if it ever happened but just can't  see it based on Tesco's hudl support history - many may need to lower their expectations and accept their hudl2 for what it is now. :ninja:

Yup he has a great point !

Guest W_Reds

I had the Hudl and I now have the Hudl 2. I never expected Tesco to update these products to a new version of Android. Stability and security patches yes and they are doing this. Just ask yourself why you want your tablet to be updated? Remember that the vast majority of Hudls were sold to non tech savvy people. 5.0 is a major update that changes the way the tablet works and most users would be at least a little bit confused. The chances are it would be a bug fest as well. So stop whinging that your supermarket tablet is not running the bleeding edge software. If you want that then get a Nexus 9.

Guest stevehudl2

On one hand you have an point but on the other, tesco have entered a market, to be competitive in that market you have to develop your product.

More people want there products they buy to be supported and updated than those who don't care, it could only help the sales of there tablets, not harm them

Guest seanspotatobusiness

More people want there products they buy to be supported and updated than those who don't care, it could only help the sales of there tablets, not harm them

Have you got a source for that statistic? Unfortunately for us, I don't think it's true. Also, I don't think sales would improve from customers getting confused about the update and have yet more bugs to deal with.

Guest stevehudl2

Have you got a source for that statistic? Unfortunately for us, I don't think it's true. Also, I don't think sales would improve from customers getting confused about the update and have yet more bugs to deal with.

Its plain knowlege, when people buy something they would always prefer it to be supported and updated.

If we just use phones/tablets as a example, what about iOS, windows phone and windows 8?

They are all used by every day run of the mill people, everyone gets excited when there device says there's a update available, android is no different and just because a supermarket is knocking this particular hardware out does not stop people wanting to have the same up to date software as everyone else.

That's were the point is though - wanting android updates as a user and being offered future android updates by the supplier are two completely different things.

As a user, if I'm careful my hudl and hudl2 will/should last a couple of years or more. From Tesco's point of view, hudl2 is last years hudl replacement - life expectancy is as long as they decide to continue to supply it and replace/repair/refund it and/or until hudl3 ..... etc etc.

Tesco is NOT an I.T company, it does things to make money/profit/increase revenue streams. Supplying updates to latest software versions 'may' increase unit sales but at the expense of increased support and development costs.

I can only see android Lollipop being offered as an upgrade for the hudl2 IF the Chinese hudl2 manufactures make it available to Tesco and Tesco can justify paying their costs that they'll charge for it.

Wanting something is perfectly fine, but I'm affraid hudl2 wasn't the best tablet to buy if you want either the latest or upgraded software - Tesco already pinned their colours to the mast with the experience with the original hudl.

Guest mark2410

honestly i  see it ever getting L and i dont think i mind.

i traded getting updates (ie buying a nexus 7 or 9) for the removable SD card slot.  while updates might be nice if they actually bring soemthing new but i cant imagine they do.  for me android peeked with jellybean concerning tablets and i still really miss being able to force the tablet UI but with it gone in kitkat, i dont see it making a come back.

They just told me from Monday 5.0 will be available to all hudl 2 usershttps://www.facebook.com/tesco/posts/829827783743021?comment_id=830431703682629&ref=notif¬if_t=feed_comment

Well slap my head and call me Sally; I did not expect that! Could they be mistaken and think they're talking about the charging update?

Could be 2 updates in one

Apparently people have already started to recieve the charging update and everyone should have it by Wednesday. They could well be two separate updates but given the unreliable nature of past communications from Tesco, I'll believe it when I see it!

Guest Matthew Watson

They must be confusing the charging fix with a lollipop update. A recent interview with the Hudl 2 team (posted on this site) shows that they are not making a lollipop update at this time.

From the Tesco Twitter feed:

All hudl 2 users should be available to update to Android Lollipop 5.0 from Monday.

That statement is wrong on so many levels. #epicfail