Turn off startup animation audio file without root?

Guest ississi

Guest r00tmydevices

Once I've managed root on my device I'll have have a re-read of this thread before, no doubt, asking questions just to double-check what I plan to do is the same as what I 'need' to do in order to remove startup animation audio.

Guest r00tmydevices

Just replace /system/media/audio/boot.ogg with your own sound, this could leave you with OTA update issues though.

To silence just add '.orig' etc to the end of the filename.

Here to pick your brains...

Now that I have rooted my Hudl 2, please can you walk me through how to gain access to above path and how do I rename the filename?

Thanks.

It's really easy, you just need to downloand and install file explorer for android from the Google Play store - something like "ES File Explorer".

Once installed, run it, in the menu on the left hand side, select "Tools" then scroll down and turn "Root Explorer" to "on" - it may restart the app at this point. In the right hand side, navigate to the folder "/system/media/audio/" and long press on the file "boot.ogg" to select it. Finally in the bottom menu bar, select "rename" and add ".orig" onto the end of the filename i.e. "boot.ogg.orig" - this is so if you want to revert to normal, just remove the extra extention you have added.

When you've done the above, rebooting your hudl2 should now result is a silent boot. :ninja:

Guest r00tmydevices

When you've done the above, rebooting your hudl2 should now result is a silent boot. 

Done and it works! Thank you, very very much. My Hudl 2 will very likely now receive more use, lol!   :D

The first ES File Explorer app that I installed (had been downloaded 5 million times) had no left hand column and although I had a good look around, I could not see a Tools section listed. Not being one to throw the towel in when it comes to computers or other technology, I searched again and chose a different app (which had been downloaded 50 million times). This must have been the app you were referring to as it indeed had a left hand column containing a Tools section. Everything else was exactly as you mentioned.

Lesson to all. When a newbie asks, what to you may seem like the simplest/silliest question, please bear in mind that you may have missed a minor detail or two or presumed that they would know something which you have not spelled out which in turn causes frustration plus prompts further questions being asked. I definitely went through that earlier whilst trying to root my device!

Alls well that ends well and all that, ha ha!

Edited by r00tmydevices

• 1 month later...
Guest r00tmydevices

It's really easy, you just need to downloand and install file explorer for android from the Google Play store - something like "ES File Explorer".

Once installed, run it, in the menu on the left hand side, select "Tools" then scroll down and turn "Root Explorer" to "on" - it may restart the app at this point. In the right hand side, navigate to the folder "/system/media/audio/" and long press on the file "boot.ogg" to select it. Finally in the bottom menu bar, select "rename" and add ".orig" onto the end of the filename i.e. "boot.ogg.orig" - this is so if you want to revert to normal, just remove the extra extention you have added.

When you've done the above, rebooting your hudl2 should now result is a silent boot. :ninja:

Managed to do above twice before on two different h2 units. Working on a third unit now, have installed ES File Explorer but there is no system file! Have switched Root Explorer to 'on'. Even tried rebooting, still notjing. Tried a search and nothing. Some help please!

Guest r00tmydevices

Even more odd is that on my own unit which has the bootup audio silenced, there no longer seems to be a system directory either in ES File Explorer. How strange.

Guest crusader58

Even more odd is that on my own unit which has the bootup audio silenced, there no longer seems to be a system directory either in ES File Explorer. How strange.

the system folder is on the root directory, I don't use es-explorer but on the file explorer that I use I must first navigate to ' #root ' before I can see the

system folder etc.

Guest r00tmydevices

the system folder is on the root directory, I don't use es-explorer but on the file explorer that I use I must first navigate to ' #root ' before I can see the

system folder etc.

Found it after reading your post. In ES File Explorer. Top left-hand corner there's small icon (3 horizontal lines). Tap that to display a column of menus. Expand 'Local' then tap '/ Device'. On the right handside now are a number of directories including 'system'.

Before I was looking everywhere within 'Home' and it's not there.

Thanks for helping out.

Guest r00tmydevices

You're got a knack of posting interesting posts when I don't have access to my hudl2 hahaha!

When I'm back I'll have to have a look but can't see how it's not there.

Must have missed this if you've mentioned it elsewhere, what's happened to your hudl2?

My hudl2 is on top form, it's my shifts which get in the way. I mainly follow the forum while out and about on my phone - hence sometimes need to wait to check stuff out. If only it had a 3G/4G inbuilt option .....

Guest r00tmydevices

My hudl2 is on top form, it's my shifts which get in the way. I mainly follow the forum while out and about on my phone - hence sometimes need to wait to check stuff out. If only it had a 3G/4G inbuilt option .....

Tether off your phone or grab a cheap 3G/4G portable wifi modem like those from 3.

Edited by r00tmydevices

• 3 weeks later...
Guest samac

Whilst ES explorer can rename files on /system it couldn't write a new file to it, so I used this http://android-tricks.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/mount-filesystem-read-write.html guide to go in via adb shell and "touch boot.ogg" after re-naming the original. I'm hoping that this will trick any updates into thinking that all the original files are intact.

samac

Guest r00tmydevices

Did you rename this file to

boot.ogg.orig

If you wish to revert back to having the grating startup audio just delete the .orig part.

• 4 years later...
Guest Mike1237

Try plugging in some noise reduction headphones with noise reduction switched on before power up. Sound goes through headphones then. Much quieter. Worked for me.