OK so how can we get Lollipop rooted ?

Guest samac

Guest dennissingh99
4 minutes ago, vampirefo said:

U mean a copy of droidboot? I do have that

No it's more that droidboot, the first file flashed is droidboot, the second is software modification.

SO what do i need to have now I have boot.img and droidboot.img,can i just flash the android 5.0 droidboot and firmware now?

Guest dennissingh99

@vampirefoWell i found this searching around the internet. it is from the actual person who made those files. Here is what it says,

Rooted. Just had to install the old droidboot, which also requires installing the old developer firmware if you haven't done the OEM Unlock. I've created a Flash zip to load into Phone Flash Tool Lite which has 3 parts. Flash file 1 flashes the old developer firmware and droidboot. After this completes, run the T4 tethered recovery from @social-design-concepts package and root like normal. At this point get yourself booted into Android and make sure you're rooted etc. Then (optional but highlyrecommended), you can run Flash files 2 and 3 (in order!) to put back the new droidboot and new firmware. This will make sure you don't have any compatibility issues with video codecs or hardware interfaces or future OTAs or anything. Then, if you want, do the standard Nexus-style OEM Unlock, which will wipe data but leave you with the option of flashing a custom recovery once somebody develops one.

Guest dennissingh99
9 minutes ago, vampirefo said:

Yes, its firmware, but Without hudl2 firmware you will be locked out of fastboot, what other files do you have for hudl2.

Well i have the droidboot.img, the boot.img, the esp.zip... and the system.img thats all that came inside the android 5.1 ota

https://mega.nz/#!EIUXnaST!E-Es3z08McKaODAiFjqa21xvj8YjXZ0b7jD37QLgz_M

Edited by dennissingh99

Guest vampirefo

I don't see any firmware that would bring you back to hudl2, my Intel doesn't have this firmware either. This is dell specific. I don't know what would happen if you don't flash the firmware, it might do nothing or might lock you out.

I would look at the other two options, neither requires firmware.

SDC insecure bootloader

Modified fastboot.img

Guest dennissingh99

@vampirefo ok could give me the link for the file for the sdc insecure bootloader because I can't find the file in the xda posts. Thanks for your time by the way. I'll try both of the solutions tomorrow because its very late in the UK now.

Guest vampirefo
@vampirefo ok could give me the link for the file for the sdc insecure bootloader because I can't find the file in the xda posts. Thanks for your time by the way. I'll try both of the solutions tomorrow because its very late in the UK now.

I don't have it yet, he asked me if I wanted to try it on my tablet, but hasn't replied back yet.

Guest dennissingh99

@vampirefo Well it looks like there is a big problem, fastboot is not allowing to flash anything at all, it is completely locked, whenever flashing anything it says it is not permitted... What now? Any other way we could flash fastboot?

Guest vampirefo

@vampirefo Well it looks like there is a big problem, fastboot is not allowing to flash anything at all, it is completely locked, whenever flashing anything it says it is not permitted... What now? Any other way we could flash fastboot?

Yep that is a big problem, haven't seen a fastboot that won't flash, have you tried flashing stock fastboot, not the modified one but hudl2 stock one?

Try this as well, seeing they won't flash let's see if can just boot them.

fastboot boot fastboot.img

Also do you have stock hudl2 recovery.img?

Have you tried?

fastboot oem unlock

Guest dennissingh99

@vampirefo Yeah, I tried the boot command in fastboot and that didnt work and also tried fastboot oem unlock which also didnt work. the same errors had been given by the tablet. I don't know if it is possible to do anything with this tablet now seen as this is most useless fastboot ive ever seen and doesnt allow anything to flash. Any ideas on what we could do??? I think that it is clear to say that the bootloader of the hudl 2 is definitely locked seen as fastboot cant flash a single thing and you were also right in saying that the hudl 2 had an unlocked bootloader when it was running 4.4. I think that in this version the hudl 2 must also have the secure boot enabled though which will obviously be another problem. I really dont think there is much left to do now

Edited by dennissingh99

Guest vampirefo

Can you check in developers settings for oem locking? I ask cause my son bought a new phone today, and I am updating it and going to root it, I noticed in developer section oem unlocking, this phone was just upgrade to 5.1 lollipop.

andscreen_30_221312.jpg

Edited by vampirefo

Guest dennissingh99

@vampirefo no that didn't work either. I really can't think of anything else to do because most of the software rooting tools that I have tried try to write to the system partition which is not possible as that is read only. I tried every exploit that I could find on the Internet but none of them worked.

21 hours ago, dennissingh99 said:

@vampirefo no that didn't work either. I really can't think of anything else to do because most of the software rooting tools that I have tried try to write to the system partition which is not possible as that is read only. I tried every exploit that I could find on the Internet but none of them worked.

Unless / until a method is found to root 5.1 through a software flaw, you need an 'ex' or 'kind' Tesco hudl2 insider to leak the resources for our tablet, statting with a complete build image, ideally with the bare metal install / restore provisioning utility - it's new year I can only hope .....

IF any such person in that position, happens upon this post and feels charitable I can guarantee there are many ways this could be shared without comeback - just a thought.

[ninja]

Edited by Guest

Guest dennissingh99

Well, I was just thinking about what we could do with the hudl 2 and so decided to email Tesco support. Here was the question that I had sent them.

I'm wanted to ask if you would unlock the bootloader of the hudl 2. I need to do this because of some of the things that I am learning to do. If you don't want to release an update for this, could you please provide us with the software that could do this unlock for us. Otherwise could you please provide us with the signing keys so that we can flash custom software to the hudl 2. Thanks for your help.
Dennis Singh.

And this was the response.

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Tesco Tech Support and thank you for your question. 

Currently, we have no plans to unlock the bootloader of the Hudl2, as this would allow for modifications to the Android Operating System and the installation of non-official software. 

By unlocking the bootloader and installing non-official software, this would void your manufacturers guarantee and we would not be able to provide you with any further support should your Hudl develop a manufacturing defect. 

We previously released the source code for the Hudl2 that may assist you with your learning. This can be viewed by going tohttps://www.tescotechsupport.com/downloads/

I'm sorry that we're unable to provide you with the response you were hoping for on this occasion. 

If there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Ieuan Sheeley 

With that done I decided to email them back again and this is what I wrote.

Thanks for the help that you have provided me with. However the problem is that even if I use the source code that you have provided, I will need to be able to use a bootloader that will allow me to boot up the android that I have just compiled with that source code. Is there any way that you could provide me a file to do this or is there any way that I could possibly do this myself. If not is there any way that I would be able to access the uefi BIOS that is installed on this tablet from insyde? Thanks for your help.

With that done I'm now waiting for the response. I'll post back when they do something. Also please give me some more ideas for what i could ask them for, maybe they would be generous enough to do something for us in the new year. Happy New Year!!!

Guest vampirefo

That's funny right there, Tesco is proud that they released code, Even linked to it yet refuse to unlock the bootloader so you can use it.

I would ask them how long my device is under warranty, then when that date comes be it a year or two years, once it's out of warranty I would like software to unlock the bootloader, seeing the reason they won't unlock it is due to warranty, once warranty is expired then the bootloader should be OK to unlock seeing the tablet no longer is under warranty.

Guest dennissingh99

@vampirefo Well, there is no point of me asking that now because after I had sent that email again to them with what I had written in the previous post, this is the response that I got.

Dear Dennis

Thanks for your reply.

Having spoke with our development team I regret to inform you we cannot provide support for such a request.

The hudl operating system and bootloader are locked down with the user experience out of the box being the only OS in mind. As such we do not provide support for development in the way you are requesting.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused by this.

Kind regards,

Oliver Mason

I don't know what we can do now as there is no hope for Tesco to do anything for us.

Guest dennissingh99

Could everyone that wants Tesco to unlock the bootloader for the hudl 2 please use the link below to fill in a form to ask them to kindly unlock the bootloader. The more requests that they have, the better chance of them unlocking the bootloader. If you guys would also like to startup a petition, we could also do that too. Everything else is completely hopeless so I think this may be our best chance. If anyone gets a good response, please also post that as well. Thanks for your help.

http://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/ask/

Guest enjoliveur
On 28/11/2015 at 11:29 PM, samac said:

So, I told Tesco that my hudl 2 is not covered by any guarantee anymore and that thus they could unlock the bootloader.

Their answer:

Regrettably our development team will not assist in unlocking the bootloader as the item although outside of warranty is still covered under the sale of goods act for early product failure up to a period of 6 years. As such to ensure the item remains to manufacturer specification we are unable to provide assistance for any such requests.

I not sure what the sale of goods act is about but we'd only have to wait for 6 years after 9 October 2014