Phone can get temp root BUT reboots if I try to check/use root

Guest lmod

Using Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (UK) v 5.02

Using MobileGo I am able to get a temporary root (MobileGo says "Root successful"). But if I try to use a root checker app or if I try to enter "su" into the terminal, the phone reboots.

The phone does not reboot if I use any other apps.

8QZmlJB.png

Edited by lmod

Guest jason zardecki

Download flashify and chainfires 2.4.6 such zip root. Then flash it through the flashify app. Its been mentioned lots of times on here. After that you will get root that survives a reboot. I have grown fond of this methods as it allows apps like all4 and my banking app to work which doesn't on my n4. The only problem I have is with addaway , it sort of works if I copy the host files manually through TWRP, better learn how to use TWRP properly as ya gonna need it. Just read the threads and you will be fine. J

Guest jason zardecki
Using Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (UK) v 5.02

Using MobileGo I am able to get a temporary root (MobileGo says "Root successful"). But if I try to use a root checker app or if I try to enter "su" into the terminal, the phone reboots.

The phone does not reboot if I use any other apps.

8QZmlJB.png

Download flashify and chainfires 2.4.6 su zip root. Then flash it through the flashify app. Its been mentioned lots of times on here. After that you will get root that survives a reboot. I have grown fond of this methods as it allows apps like all4 and my banking app to work which doesn't on my n4. The only problem I have is with addaway , it sort of works if I copy the host files manually through TWRP, better learn how to use TWRP properly as ya gonna need it. Just read the threads and you will be fine. J

43 minutes ago, jason zardecki said:

Download flashify and chainfires 2.4.6 such zip root. Then flash it through the flashify app. Its been mentioned lots of times on here. After that you will get root that survives a reboot. I have grown fond of this methods as it allows apps like all4 and my banking app to work which doesn't on my n4. The only problem I have is with addaway , it sort of works if I copy the host files manually through TWRP, better learn how to use TWRP properly as ya gonna need it. Just read the threads and you will be fine. J

I got a temp root working with KingRoot. I was gonna follow the steps here:

Now my phone isn't rebooting. It's fine now for temp root. Im just trying to make temp root permanent, you know?

What should I flash using flashify, the TWRP recovery image in the link above?

47 minutes ago, jason zardecki said:

Tapatalk update has done my nut in. Can't correctly my spelled as easily.

Ok I flashed the twrp recovery image using flashify then rebooted. But now it is stuck on teamwin splash screen and doesnt start. Hopefully I didnt break anything

10 minutes ago, jason zardecki said:

Likely flashed the 5.0.2 twrp image on 5.1 or visa versa make sure your doing it correctly. Can always use the update from sd card if it goes pair shaped.

This is the zip I flashed to get permanent root

https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/

Ok when I try to flash zip it gives me two options, recovery: "CWM" or "TWRP or Philz" - which one should I select?

10 minutes ago, jason zardecki said:

Yes flash that image file via flashify then use twrp to flash the su zip. Sorry if I confused you earlier, confused myself.

Woo hoo!! It worked! Thanks a lot @jason zardecki

Write-up of everything I did:

• turned on USB debugging and connected phone to PC (possibly unnecessary step)
  • downloaded and installed KingRoot v4.8 from XDA forums
  • rooted phone using it (does fail a few times, persevere!!)
  • while I had temp root, installed flashify and TWRP manager
  • used flashify to flash the recovery-twrp2870-p839v55.img from link:http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375554-recovery-twrp-2870/
  • used twrp manager to flash the superuser zip from here: https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/
  • then used twrp to boot into recovery mode (should see a teamwin slapsh)
  • let it do its thing and it'll boot and say android upgrading
  • PERMA ROOTED!!

Now it strikes me that maybe I should have updated to 5.1.1 before doing this, but it wasnt available under vodafone updates ://

6 minutes ago, jason zardecki said:

Well done, time to make your phone your own.

I'm ready!! Although I wonder if I can get rid of KingRoot now? and possibly somehow upgrade to 5.1.1 :P (that's a journey for another day)

Guest jason zardecki

Definitely can be done, something on here that links to xda called something like supersume that gets rid of all traces of kingroot. I didn't go down that root (no pun intended) but someone can help.