I played with a P800 today...

Guest TooMuch2AM

Guest spacemonkey
If you consider just the number of features, the p800 IS better, far better.

Now for sure, if you consider weight, size and which of them looks more like a phone, the SPV is better. I repeat: I loved my SPV but it was too limited for my use whereas the p800 perfectly fits all my needs. If the SPV have had a Tréo-like keyboard and multiple mail accounts, I think I would have kept it.

OK, so if I consider some factors in isolation then I'd definitely buy a P800, but if I consider some other factors in isolation then I'd definitely buy a SPV...

Hang on, why don't I consider all the factors together, wieghing the positives of each device against the negatives of each device and see which device AS A WHOLE matches up with my needs/desires best?

End of Discussion?

Guest ClintEastman

1 - Out of interest?

--> I thought it could help. I did not start this thread, I just answered... So if it is out of interest, please see before.

What is it with people jumping down my throat lately? :cry:

This is the first time I have upset someone by saying “Out of interest”.

I was only interested in the extra features!

Could someone point out to me what I am doing wrong here, what ever I say someone takes it the wrong way!

Guest Syvwlch

It's a language problem.

Edupin, I suspect, is not a native speaker of the english language, and thought you meant he was off-topic. (Edit : or of no interest, perhaps?)

Why don't you offer to kiss *him*? :)

Guest ClintEastman
It's a language problem.  

Edupin, I suspect, is not a native speaker of the english language, and thought you meant he was off-topic. (Edit : or of no interest, perhaps?)

Ah, that makes sence.

Why don't you offer to kiss *him*? :)

But i thought me and you have something special, are you seeing people behind my back? :wink:

Guest Syvwlch
But i thought me and you have something special, are you seeing people behind my back? :wink:

How do I get into these situations? :roll:

Guest Pagemakers

How do you upgrade the P800's firmware - like the SPV or does it need to go to a service centre?

Secondly, is there are will there be an MSN client?

Guest TooMuch2AM

I can't ever see a Microsoft sanctioned Messenger client on a symbian phone, but someone like Jabber or Trillian might come up with one...

M

Guest midnight

ok, here goes :wink:...

- touch screen

- graphiti

- virtual keyboard

yup, all 3 of the above are due to the touch screen, i agree, cant compete with that (if you want touch screen that is)

- camera

erm, spv has a camera

- photo ID for incoming calls

already coming out anytime soon, and i reckon some clever bod will make a freebie app that does this soon

- multiple pop and smtp acounts for email (the best advantage compared to SPV)

whats the betting this one will be fixed in a new update soon(ish), and theres always webmail

- the best mobile web browser ever: Opera (see specs here http://www.opera.com and you'll understand what I mean)

Yup, gotta agree with you here, shame M$ pissed off opera, the plan was originally for opera to also make a version for the smartphone2002 os

- 200 x 320 px screen

yeh, true, but you dont get as many colours as us 4096 vs the spv's 65k (very handy when creating game gfx)

- Word, Excel, PDF and PowerPoint viewers (and soon, editors)

Powerpoint is already done (comes on the sd card that comes with the phone, and other third party software houses are working on the others, altho, cant see any editors happening, but then i have my pc for that)

- send and receive all kinds of file attachments with e-mails

dont know too much about the state of play for this one, but, i did hear someone was working on this.

- best battery life (about twice compared to the SPV)

yup, cant argue there, never tried a p800 long enough to see how long the battery lasts so i'll have to take your word for it :)

- voice recognition for dialing

yeh, that was something we where promised for the spv but never got, dunno whether something is in development or not, but i never used this feature on any of my phones anyway, so no probs for me ;)

- when a contact calls you, you can ask the p800 to TELL you his name instead of standard ringtone

SPV can use different wav's per contact, so not much difference there

- real calculator

thats being a bit picky aint it :wink: and anyways, i have seen better home-made ones

- GPRS counter

that exists also for the spv

- free and easy-to-use screen capture utility

yup, we have that aswell

- freehand notes and draw utility

well, we have notbad, thats good enough for notes, and drawing? actually, thats quite handy, draw a map and send it via email, thats quite neat.

and to say the p800 never crashes certainly aint true, i managed to crash it within 20minutes hehe, and to be honest, so long as i aint running any beta apps i have never had the spv crash on me, even less since the uk update.

i think we have only seen the beginning of the tweaks for the spv and over the coming months we will see more and more issues fixed and more uses will be found for the spv (already someone has used it as a bath sponge (dropped in the bath), an alcohol level tester (dropped in a pint), and a spoon (someone tried to make pancakes with it) and all 3 phones still work)

Guest edupin
i think we have only seen the beginning of the tweaks for the spv and over the coming months we will see more and more issues fixed and more uses will be found for the spv

OK, but the p800 has been launched 3 months after SPV (at least here in France) and has it all yet!

I am speaking about REAL existing features and not about what is supposed to come in the future. If I wanted to argue this way, I could find lots of things to come for the p800, too!

And remember, I am talking from a new p800 owner point of view. My p800 firmware is the last released and I confirm that it has NEVER crashed or bugged in 3 weeks intensive use (why should I lie? I am not from Sony Ericsson staff and I've always said my SPV neither did crash).

Last: in France the SPV does not come with a camera, which is only available as an option since a few days at about £60...

Guest Pagemakers

I am not having a go - I am seriously considering buying a P800 today. But I need to know that a MSN messenger compatible program will be launched and that the phones does not need to go back to a service centre for a software upgrade.

Guest ClintEastman

I take it I don’t get an apology edupin?

As far as future developments go the SmartPhone 2002 platform will win hands down. I am not saying it’s a better OS (that’s more of a case of personal preference), it’s just that that’s the way it goes when Microsoft get involved.

Guest Syvwlch
I take it I don’t get an apology edupin?

Clint, we French don't take too well to having the piss taken, you know. It's just not a form of humour we practice much.

We do, on the other hand, respond well to people who apologize first, and in response, usually apologize in turn, with the understanding that zero, one or both of the participants really have nothing to epologize at all. It would be rude to speculate on the exact value of that parameter. :)

I'm just saying this, cuz if my daddy finds out about us, we're gonna have a shotgun wedding, and you'd better brush up on Froggy-communications skills...

... which begars the question: how did it ever get in a position to be submerged in a bath?

I never have a bath without reading half of news.bbc.co.uk or talking on MSN these days.

Guest omar_g

There are plenty of MSN clients for the P800. Have a search using Google or visit one of these sites:

www.tipic.com

www.my-symbian.info

www.allaboutsymbian.com

www.midlet.org

www.fastxt.com

www.justyak.com

www.shapeservices.de

Guest ClintEastman

I would go for the Chalk, i did because I wanted to write on a blackboard, and cheese can’t write on blackboards…

CHALK RULES!!