SMARTPHONE for DUMMIES

Guest jabez

Guest crystal01

Hi! i would really appreciate if anyone could help me on this. i just got my tanager 3 days ago, i've done a lot of tweaking, downloading, and installing of mp3s and programs on it, and now i'm on the brink of filling up the default memory space. i wanna put more but i still dont have the money to buy a memory card. Ü now..that's not my real problem..

i have gotten to know and started to love my phone! BUT i've got one big problem..i dunno how to configure active sync to work! i can explore my smartphone, but i could not use activesync to synchronize my phone and pc. Do i need to have a server or something? what i just wanna do is to be able to copy my messages, files and other settings to my pc so that i have a back up. I know i can do this manually but i wanna use active sync..Is that how activesync is supposed to work or am i just talking nonsense? Can anyone teach me how? i would really appreciate any help i can get from you guys...thanks! i know this is quite a dumb question....Ü

Guest jonblakeburn

Another newbie question.

As this site states, you can only "SIM Unlock" the phone on SPV's with a bootloader version of < 0.99. How can you find out the bootloader version of the SPV...

:?

Guest dinoalbert

@crystal

you mentioned you were able to download, install stuffs and mp3s to your phone...BUT how did you do that without the ActiveSync (unless you did it directly using the internet which would cost you more)???

Have you used the CD that came with the phone? Install Active Sync from there. Then once installed, connect your phone to the PC via the usb cable, then when the PC detects your phone,it will ask you if you want to create a partnership or not....if you want to sync your contacts,emails,appointments,etc of your phone with your desktop, choose to create a New Partnership. Then go to options where you get to choose the data that you want to synchronize.

If you want to explore your phone's folders...IPSM and SD card, or put some MP3s,movie files,ringtones,etc...just click on the button "Explore"...

Guest mores

maybe not a dummy question, more of a onlineforum-newbie question:

i have asked a question and nobody answered. nobody likes me

and i can answer that as well *cool*.

it's probably because nobody knows the answer to your question.

even if you ask stupid questions that have been answered 50 times already, someone will answer and tell you you're stupid because you didn't find the answer in another thread. but that's already an answer.

so no answer = no info.

no need to cry.

• 4 weeks later...

Another dummy question: What are the different file extensions and how it works?

there are files from the spv that can't be opened in the pc, vice versa and why?

Is this normal? :?:

Guest spv_dman
Another dummy question: What are the different file extensions and how it works?

there are files from the spv that can't be opened in the pc, vice versa and why?

Is this normal? :?:

By default, image (.gif, jpeg), sounds (mp3,wav) requires no conversion between a pc and smartphone and can be opened by either device. Using a file explorer, you can see an icon marked for each filetype (e.g. jpg with a red spot and a paint brush) and this can be opened with an application intended to run it (e.g. when you click a jpg file it will open in internet explorer; mp3 and wmv with media player). This is called "file association". The application must be installed natively on each platform to open it. When you try to view let's say ms word document on your smartphone, this won't run on your phone as there's no ms word software installed on your phone.

Some third party applications can convert from desktop to smartphone format. A good example is pocket slideshow which converts a powerpoint presentation to a format recognized by the smartphone upon transfer via activesync. While others will require you to do manual conversion to view files from your desktop to your phone such as repligo (ms word, excel, powerpoint, acrobat, etc). :)

Hi,

I plan to get the smart amazing phone. Where can I have it unlocked? What exactly has to be done? Is it the same as unlocking a Nokia phone?

Arun

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chibako

can someone give a step by step procedure on how to downgrade my smartphone back to 1.37? i have upgraded to 1.50 and now i like to downgrade it back to 1.37 to unlock it. pls someone help...