Install discussions for Omnia2Droid

Guest erikcas

Guest Pazuzu666

I tried installing android using the autoinstaller. Made 3 partitions, put everything on the fat32, edited startup.txt, disconnected from pc, clicked on installandroid via winmo, 3 error messages, then haret boots, after kernel is checked the screen jumped to a black screen with android written across it in this 90's type videogame font, then the screen went black and remained unresponsive (mobile didnt turn off, because it doesnt respond to the power button). what am i doin wrong? 

Edited by Pazuzu666

Guest erikcas

I tried installing android using the autoinstaller. Made 3 partitions, put everything on the fat32, edited startup.txt, disconnected from pc, clicked on installandroid via winmo, 3 error messages, then haret boots, after kernel is checked the screen jumped to a black screen with android written across it in this 90's type videogame font, then the screen went black and remained unresponsive (mobile didnt turn off, because it doesnt respond to the power button). what am i doin wrong?

Are you trying to install on internal storage or SD card?

what are the sizes of your partitions?

• 1 month later...
Guest nnkarthikn

i m installing cm beta 2 automatic installation in external SD.

Installation completed. Phone gets restarted.

After rebooting clicked haret.exe.

Thn phone hangs showing "Android on Omnia II Loading.."

• 2 months later...
Guest Kewlkat

I posted this on the main thread, but I just realised this is the more appropriate place for it, so posting it here as well:

Yes, Automatic Installation on External SD is very easy & straightforward, but I couldnt find a simple guide for it on the thread & through googling (The README is fine, but if you encounter errors like me & after reading through all the information for all the different types of installation, it can get really confusing.) So here is my step by step (with the issues/mistakes I made & learnt from, at the end for those interested & also anyone else who might have faced similar issues)

My setup before starting anything was as follows:

Omnia i8000 with 8 GB internal & My SD card is 16GB class 4. Both had never been partiontioned, no ROMs flashed. I had disabled TouchWiz & got the SPB Mobile shell interface. 'My Storage' had about 3 GB free space & SD card had 4.16 GB free space. I backed up everything in internal with Sprite Backup. & also copied all storage card contents onto my Hard drive. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - DO NOT PUT IT OFF as a cliched warning- read Issue # 4

Just to be clear there is no need for any partitioning or modifying any mmcblk references in this method. Before you start, you can read my initial confusions at Issue # 1 & Issue # 2.

******************************************************** BEGINNING OF STEPS************************************************

1. On your PC: You just download the automatic installer package (cm_beta2.zip). Unzip onto a folder on your laptop/PC & copy the contents inside that folder straight into 'My Storage'

2. If you are installing on Externl SD, on your Omnia, using File explorer or File manager go to 'My Storage' & click on installandroid.exe. (If you are instaling on 'My Storage' then the readme file inside the cm_beta.zip has instructions on what modificatioins need to be done. Also this thread has many posts discussing about this.)

3. If all goes well, you will see a black screen, first with tiny font then, readable font & finally a "Installing Android. Please wait..." followed by "Untar ext4.tar.gz from Internal Storage (My Storage)..." At this point it takes time because it is extracting a fairly large file (This is mentioned in the README)

However if you run into any problems & dont reach the above stage refer to Issue # 3 below.

4. The phone will automatically reboot & start in Windows Mobile. Now go to 'My Storage' & run haret.exe from there. You should see a similar black screen with small font, then a 'Android on Omnia II loading..." on the top part of your screen, followed by a cool looking 'O2DROID" green animated logo. (I did not come across any 'pink screen' mentioned by others-must be from a previous version(?). )

The first time it loads all this, it is supposed to take some time, so its a good chance to grab a cup of coffee as you wait for your 1st experience of Android on your Omnia ;)

********************************************************END OF STEPS************************************************

Issue # 1.

So as per the official post:

Automatic installer

Requires:

- untouched My Storage with automatic installer content

- ext4.tar.gz from manual install package

- at least 2GB SD card (class 6 at least will be enough) with one FAT32 partition or with 2 partitions (FAT32 + ext2/3/4)

Here I got confused with the word 'untouched' - I assumed it means a separate partition on My Storage that would remain "untouched" by other applications :rolleyes: - so I thought I would have to create a new partition on it :wacko: - which of course is WRONG & is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what it really means... So untouched actually means a MyStorage that hasnt been partitioned before i.e. you havent installed any other versions of Android... in effect you need a single partition MyStorage - FAT32 file system & as a Logical type

Issue # 2. "ext4.tar.gz from manual install package" - not sure why this instruction is present, because when you unzip cm_beta.zip, it already contains a ext4.tar.gz. I'm assuming this instruction is from cm beta 1 or some other/previous versions (?). Anyway I did not download any file separately for this. Just used the one in the package as per instructions.

Issue # 3. When I tried to follow the "normal automatic " installation I kept getting a few errors:

"Error: Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition"

& "Error: Cant's have overlapping partitions.

tune2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/block/mmcblk0p

Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock."

I suspect this has to so with the fact that my SD card had other data (10 GB worth) & although I had cleared 4 GB space I still faced this issue.

I also tried the suggestion here, but it did not work for me.

I had to basically do a simple clean format of the SD card (as a single partition FAT32 & Primary, named as sdcard ) & when I tried again, it installed fine!

Issue # 4. Also while trying to overcome the above errors, I read a suggestion about making all partitions to be as "primary", however my Internal Storage was 'Logical' & when I tried to "convert to primary", I lost it!!

Worth noting here that for a simple & straightforward automatic install on external SD (as per steps in README & above- you DO NOT need to mess with partitions AT ALL. If you encounter any issues, just make sure that SD is 'Primary' & 'My Storage' is 'Logical'. For me they already were, but I did read a few posts were people had them the other way round, inwhich case, you might have to convert them. As mentioned in Issue # 3, a simple format of SD card was all that I needed to solve my problems.

So coming back to my lost 'My Storage', with the help of 2 other posts here & here, I somehow managed to recover it (not sure which one worked of those 2, but somwhere in between it did & then I had to do reformat.) After this I also reset it to factory settings - Settings >Basic Settings > Memory Settings > clear memory - this will wipe out all your app installations & data in internal memory & My Storage, so moral of the story, you DEFINITELY need to do a complete backup of MyStorage & ur internal memory (Highly recommend Sprite Backup). & Dump all the contents of your SD card onto a Hard drive & clean format it too. (So as to start with a clean slate).

If you are lucky you may not need to reformat your SD card, i.e. the steps above will work right away, but if like me, you encounter any of the errors mentioned in Issue # 3, then definetly this is the way to go.

Hope this helps other newbies/novices like me. Thanks a bunch once again to all the devs who made this possible (& a special kudos to the logo designer of 'O2DROID' - looks really cool, love it!) :)