O2 won't charge through generic usb wall-charger

Guest pmgoliv
Yes, I can confirm that it works. I did the mod about a month ago to my USB car charger (required constant juice for GPS navigation).

This is my original post from this previous topic on Dec 5th. Link.

Anyway, there are several posts in this topic's first page mentioning the success of this mod and yes, generally both wall and car chargers are almost identical except the step down voltage and rectification (Wall outlet steps down from 240V AC to 5V DC whereas car drops from 12-ish V DC to 5V DC).

HI.

Yesterday night i tried this but unfortunately it did not work. Today i will come back to this and try to take a picture of my wall and car chargers.

I complaint to the guy on ebay about this and he said he had no solution for this and so he give me back the money i paid for it.

But i would really like to solve this. I need spare sync cable and wall charger and a really need a car charger.

Guest NewForce
Great suggestion. Is it working 100%?

If this mod solves the problem is better because we can still use the cable for sync.

Will this also apply for the car charger?

I have not opened yet my wall or car charger and i don't know if its the same.

Thanks.

HI.

Yesterday night i tried this but unfortunately it did not work. Today i will come back to this and try to take a picture of my wall and car chargers.

I complaint to the guy on ebay about this and he said he had no solution for this and so he give me back the money i paid for it.

But i would really like to solve this. I need spare sync cable and wall charger and a really need a car charger.

Standard USB connector pins layout labelling should be like below,

Pin1 = VCC +5V DC - RED wire

Pin2 = D-, DATA- - WHITE wire.

Pin3 = D+, DATA+ - GREEN wire

Pin4 = GND, Ground - Black wire

So when short-circuit the Pin 2 & 3 together, Handset can immediate defined that this connection was a Charging connection, and not a Data connection.

pmgoliv for your case, probably the car charger you'd purchased has the Pin2 D- White wire shorted to GND, Ground.

Try to cut-off the connection between them might enable your car charger to charge your handset.

If it was not the case, then get it replace with another model of car charger might gave you better luck.

:)

Guest pmgoliv
Standard USB connector pins layout labelling should be like below,

Pin1 = VCC +5V DC - RED wire

Pin2 = D-, DATA- - WHITE wire.

Pin3 = D+, DATA+ - GREEN wire

Pin4 = GND, Ground - Black wire

So when short-circuit the Pin 2 & 3 together, Handset can immediate defined that this connection was a Charging connection, and not a Data connection.

pmgoliv for your case, probably the car charger you'd purchased has the Pin2 D- White wire shorted to GND, Ground.

Try to cut-off the connection between them might enable your car charger to charge your handset.

If it was not the case, then get it replace with another model of car charger might gave you better luck.

:)

Thank you for your help.

In the case of the car charger, indeed there are two pin's already shorted. Using the picture you posted and looking to it with the USB connector closer to our eyes, its the two pins on the left (I don't know if it is 1 and 2 or 3 and 4). I shorted the pins 2 and 3 as you said, but i left the two others linked. I will try latter two cut off that connection.

If it does not work, i will have to buy a new car charger, probably original Samsung. No much of a problem since the seller refunded me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Guest NewForce
Thank you for your help.

In the case of the car charger, indeed there are two pin's already shorted. Using the picture you posted and looking to it with the USB connector closer to our eyes, its the two pins on the left (I don't know if it is 1 and 2 or 3 and 4). I shorted the pins 2 and 3 as you said, but i left the two others linked. I will try latter two cut off that connection.

If it does not work, i will have to buy a new car charger, probably original Samsung. No much of a problem since the seller refunded me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

No problem pmgoliv!

Just in case, Pin 2 & 3 was the 2pin in the center of the 4 pins.

Here's another picture for USB pin layout for your reference.

post-31662-1261580405_thumb.png

Guest dwallersv
No problem pmgoliv!

Just in case, Pin 2 & 3 was the 2pin in the center of the 4 pins.

Here's another picture for USB pin layout for your reference.

post-31662-1261580405_thumb.png

So, here's a really easy way I thought of to really easily make a universal charging cable: Buy an ordinary standard-to-micro USB cable, like the one that came with the Omnia II, and some conductive paint (hobbyist PC board circuit trace stuff would work well, and is relatively inexpensive), and simple short the two middle pins in the standard connector with the paint. Voila... charging cable.

I'm going to do this, and post back how it worked. Nice thing about this approach is that the integrity of the cable is retained, both for asthetics and reliability. If the paint wears off after a bunch of uses, it can easily be redone.

I would suggest all to short pin 2 & 3 at the charger end will be more easier and universal to use for all phones.

Below the pict how you should short them together. Enjoy!

post-31662-1261064270_thumb.jpg

There is a rocketfish cable at best buy and ebay that works well. No need to modify anything. It is a mini usb cable with a removable micro usb tip.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180434956790

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%...p;cp=2&lp=9

Guest pmgoliv

Hi.

Solved for the car charger. I connected pins 2 and 3 and disconnected pins 1 and 2 and now is working. Thanks for your help Newforce.

Only need to solve the problem for the wall charger now.

Here is a picture of my wall charger. I also connected the pins 2 and 3, but no luck in this case.

post-611751-1261953768_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Guest bluhound
Hi.

Solved for the car charger. I connected pins 2 and 3 and disconnected pins 1 and 2 and now is working. Thanks for your help Newforce.

Only need to solve the problem for the wall charger now.

Here is a picture of my wall charger. I also connected the pins 2 and 3, but no luck in this case.

post-611751-1261953768_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Generally, in order for the charger to work, pins 2 and 3 have to be shorted BUT isolated from any circuit.

By looking at your picture, the reason why it does not work is because pins 2, 3 and 4 are shorted together (pin4 is part of the power circuit). This is an odd PCB layout.

post-584433-1261971898_thumb.jpg

The red circle shows the problem. By breaking that connection, it should work. No guarantees though. Do at your own risk.

Guest pmgoliv
Generally, in order for the charger to work, pins 2 and 3 have to be shorted BUT isolated from any circuit.

By looking at your picture, the reason why it does not work is because pins 2, 3 and 4 are shorted together (pin4 is part of the power circuit). This is an odd PCB layout.

post-584433-1261971898_thumb.jpg

The red circle shows the problem. By breaking that connection, it should work. No guarantees though. Do at your own risk.

Solved!

Thanks for your help. I broke that connection and the charger is now working.

Guest bluhound

Always happy to help! :)

EDIT: After reading a few articles, now I understand why pmgoliv's wall charger has pins 3 and 4 shorted.

There are three types of charging methods:-

1. Inject +5V DC and phone charges

2. Inject +5V DC and ground pin 3 to inform phone that charging status is on OR

3. Just like the Omnia II, short pins 2 and 3 to inform phone that charging status is on.

@pmgoliv, your wall charger was designed for (2). By modifying the charger, it is now catered for charging method (3), making it no longer capable for phones using charging method (2).

Edited by bluhound

Guest awarner (MVP)

For car charging, I bought a cheap unit from Amazon and it's working fine :)

My Pulse also uses micro usb and the cables/chargers are compatible with the O2 as well.

Guest wkinoti

Hi...,anyone please help..i got two usb wall charger and tried to shot the pins as explained above but it aint working...here is how the circuit for the two wall chargers look like:

A

A1.jpg

B

Someone help me out on this.

Edited by wkinoti

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Craptastic0
Go to www.frys.com and search for Retrak and you can order it off their web page (or use the link below). If you're in the U.S. and there is a Fry's Electronics nearby you can purchase it in the store.

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=reg...&submit.y=0

I bought this exact cable and it didn't work for me. Allows me to charge via OEM wall charger or connected to laptop, but not through any usb car chargers or mobile usb chargers.

Any luck with the conductive paint idea?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest damienloh
Anyone know if Sanyo Mobile Booster will be able to charge the Omnia 2? Thinking of getting one as I use ALOT of data on the go :(

I use original Samsung cable and a 3rd party cable, both cannot charge up Omnia II with Sanyo Mobile Booster Lithium Ion 5000mAh.

Both cables worked fine with PC USB and a 2xAA charger.

Edited by damienloh

• 2 months later...
Guest caesar1987
The reason why O2 does not load with a generic USB charger is becouse in an official loader the data cable is short circuited, why this is i don't realy care about. But it is fixable, you will need a micro usb cable you want to mod in to a loader cable.

To turn a Normal Data Cable in to a loader cable, you will have to strip a bit of the Skin of the cable of until you get to the small wires inside. Get a 2nd cable to do this, don’t use the one you got with your phone, it is to short and you can’t connect to a pc anymore.

Most Cables have the following colour coding:

Pin Wire Color Function

1 Red V BUS (+5V)

2 White D-

3 Green D+

4 Joined to pin 5 ID

5 Black Ground

To short out the data cables you will have to cut the White and Green cable, strip a bit of the isolation and twist the copper wiring together.

Mind, You have to connect the wire going to the small contact not the big one.

The best place to do this is near the beginning of the cable where the Big USB plug is, about 2 Inch, or a couple of cm up.

After you have tested that loading works you can use tape to cover up the gap, and protect the cables from further damage.

I Hope this tutorial is undersandable, good luck with your attempt.

thx, it works! (on my samsung omnia II i8000)

• 1 month later...
Guest Blomman

If I connect the generic USB charger with the phone switched off, and switch it on with the charger attached, it seems to be charging the telephone without the modifications described above.

Could someone confirm, please?

/B

• 1 month later...

Hello

I confirm that I can now charge my Omnia Pro - B7610 with my USB car charger with this tips : I use a 50 cm USB cable extender to avoid to screw up my original USB Cable for Datas. I just join the green and white cable on the handset side.

It works great.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest imba1211
Same problem here but It did however work with my old Xperia X1 charger.

+1 the xperia x1 charger worked like a charm..

looks like devices like the omnia 2 needs signal on the data pins to work.

if u r pro with electronics it should be sinple to either provide power to the data+ pin or just short out data+ and data- pins.

it works on many other devices which wont charge on generic chargers.