what for and why do OMNIA 2 reserved 50% of it RAM?

Guest touchflo
I tried it .. no increment in available ram.

really? hmm weird. if i put the value back to the 73000 i lose 30mb. when i set it to 8192 i get the 30mb back. im using the omnia 2 from bell in canada, so maybe something different between firmwares. do u have touchwiz running?

Goto: HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Today

change reg key enabled to 0 and the today screen won't be active anymore...

(if i press today it goes to Mobile shell)

Ongoing the other tweaks, as soon as i finished testing I'll post them. However remember, I'm not an expert, I just like to see what happens if i change thinges :D

Hello!

This is a really good idea, but stop today, lead to the prohibition and samsung dialer?! Can not dial / enter / numbers directly...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE

change limit0 to 8192

My value limit0 is "73728" too, change of 8192 no increment in available ram.

My ROM is I8000NXXIJ6

I apologize for bad еnglish!

really? hmm weird. if i put the value back to the 73000 i lose 30mb. when i set it to 8192 i get the 30mb back. im using the omnia 2 from bell in canada, so maybe something different between firmwares. do u have touchwiz running?

No changes with free RAM for me also BUT (!!!) memory leak is much slower after this trick. Quite interesting indeed. Besides it means Omnia 2 CMDA version has dynamic video ram assign and O2 GSM/3G version has constant ram value assigned to video ram.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\LowMem ]

"ProgramMem"=dword:96"

So, I compared this value to a previous 6.5 phone I had that didn't have these app closing problems. \LowMem doesn't even exist on that device! Soooo...I'm considering just deleting this value. From what I've found otherwise, OOM is the key that's supposed to effect this anyway, so this just seems like something ELSE that closes stuff more agressively. Any thoughts?

Edit: This didn't work very good. Seemed to result in worse results.

Edited by Goodge

No changes with free RAM for me also BUT (!!!) memory leak is much slower after this trick. Quite interesting indeed. Besides it means Omnia 2 CMDA version has dynamic video ram assign and O2 GSM/3G version has constant ram value assigned to video ram.

Addendum - this trick decrease cache size for graphic operation but it doesn't effect in game/multimedia preformace for me. On other hand lots of tweakers recommend to increase low value to HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit = 16384 or even 32768 for better TouchFlo 3D preformance.

BTW. HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit = 0 and HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit0 = 0 reboot and everything still works fine. If Omnia 2 has own video memory so why would spend system memory to cache graphic operation?

Edited by gt100

i went down to 1.05 mb free before all my app were killed using som reg tweaks but it 's not stable yet i will do more testing and post my settings once they are stable enought

Could you share what you've found so far...I'd be interested in messing around with what you have found as of yet...

Addendum - this trick decrease cache size for graphic operation but it doesn't effect in game/multimedia preformace for me. On other hand lots of tweakers recommend to increase low value to HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit = 16384 or even 32768 for better TouchFlo 3D preformance.

BTW. HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit = 0 and HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit0 = 0 reboot and everything still works fine. If Omnia 2 has own video memory so why would spend system memory to cache graphic operation?

when I set the limit=0 and limit0=0, the screen re-fresh becomes very slow. therefore, I believe there is still need for them.

I also tried to decrease limt and limt0, but neither seems to help on the app close stability in long run.

something else much be there that closing apps in background. still need to search

no olso some other the one hklm\system\oom

reserved: minimum memory reserved for the system.

from ,icrosoft

Out-of-memory (OOM) settings are controlled by registry values under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\OOM registry key.

The following registry values specify the threshold at which the amount of memory available is considered to be low. The number of bytes of memory available at the threshold is the maximum of (cbLow + cpLow * PageSize).

The following registry values specify the threshold at which the amount of memory available is considered to be critical. The number of bytes of memory available at the threshold is the maximum of (cbVlow + cpVlow* PageSize).

if you modify don't forget to back up the registry first

WinCE pagesize is 4K, cpLow*pagesize = 375*4K = 1.5MB of memory. this is always a very low value. add 0x20000 cblow, it is < 2mb. but my O2 closes up program around 15MB. never gets to that low

when I set the limit=0 and limit0=0, the screen re-fresh becomes very slow. therefore, I believe there is still need for them.

Hmmm.. Works fine for me but try 2048 / 2048 for limit / limit0

Guest Michael Pang
bump....

is there something like BIOS editor for this phone? perhaps we can take a look at the BIOS for the allocated RAM for graphics.

learnt that the eboot part of the rom which function quite similar to BIOS of PC. may be we can take a look on the eboot to see if it define how much memory is reserved for Graphics. May be there is even a eboot editor we don't have or know it.

Take a look at the following picture:

post-240024-1260581999_thumb.jpg

It seemes there is cfg file which control the eboot settings in our i8000. may be we can investigate on it.

learnt that the eboot part of the rom which function quite similar to BIOS of PC. may be we can take a look on the eboot to see if it define how much memory is reserved for Graphics. May be there is even a eboot editor we don't have or know it.

It seemes there is cfg file which control the eboot settings in our i8000. may be we can investigate on it.

is there eboot editor out there?

Edited by nap_rz

Guest Dmordarski

i

It seems that the US Verizon I920 omnia 2 is also having this memory "leak" issues, I noticed it today when a program would not start, somehow with touchwiz disables, today disabed and runing mobile shell, Im using 102.41 mb with only 38.28 free, I don't think I like this...

Guest Dmordarski
i

It seems that the US Verizon I920 omnia 2 is also having this memory "leak" issues, I noticed it today when a program would not start, somehow with touchwiz disables, today disabed and runing mobile shell, Im using 102.41 mb with only 38.28 free, I don't think I like this...

Maybe a talented programmer can create a few cabs like these

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t...ight=SYStem+RAM

It seems this SSK TP2 Dynamic rescource proxy cab does free up some ram, however the start menu button quits working 86.85 mb in use 53.84 free, maybe someone can try to port it.

Edited by Dmordarski

Guest firefighterguy

Hello everyone! I've been a long time viewer when i had my Ompnia 1. I have been amazed at tbe knowledge base here and samsug-omnia.org. I have the Omnia i920 and i have anywhere from 69 - 80.something or 81.something mb RAM avail. but I am greedy. I want it ALL or as close to the 256 as I can get. I called samsung and I am going to call them back - as I was at work. and when I do, I will be talking to a level III tech person. we came to a hypothisis - can we move stuff to my storage or storage cardlike we could ln the O1? and theoretically free up that RAM and make whatever it is thats using it pull it from my storage or the storage card? thereby freeing up main RAM?

Hello everyone! I've been a long time viewer when i had my Ompnia 1. I have been amazed at tbe knowledge base here and samsug-omnia.org. I have the Omnia i920 and i have anywhere from 69 - 80.something or 81.something mb RAM avail. but I am greedy. I want it ALL or as close to the 256 as I can get. I called samsung and I am going to call them back - as I was at work. and when I do, I will be talking to a level III tech person. we came to a hypothisis - can we move stuff to my storage or storage cardlike we could ln the O1? and theoretically free up that RAM and make whatever it is thats using it pull it from my storage or the storage card? thereby freeing up main RAM?

the most logical explanation we have is that the RAM is reserved for the graphics accelerator, just like what can be found on laptops or pc with onboard graphics hardware.

however, in our case, the amount of RAM reserved for the graphics hardware is definitely overdone ;)

the other problem is still a mystery, why do this phone auto closing apps when the RAM is below x MB is still unknown.

Guest KILLvino

if you guys are concerned about running multiple programs like opera (browsers) and such, try this link i know it doesnt actually give you more ram, just a larger temp folder. ive tried running programs without it, opera + touch player + coreplayer + streaming on skyfire. it wouldnt work without doing it but after i did it i could have everything working flawlessly.

Guest mickequipe

All current builds of winmo 6.5 on I8000 have a memory leak.

Samsung need to fix it.

If someone would like to write a well worded petition to Samsung, I'm sure plenty of people will sign it.

If that doesn't work, we'll have to buy new phones or take out a class action against them.

Just a thought. ;)

Off topic? Memory leak in WM 6.5 will not be an issue "If samsung not reserved about 50% of RAM".

So we're discussing what and why SS reserved that RAM, and how can we fix it.

I inquired them, still no news...

btw someone said in the other thread about disabling samsung dialer to prevent auto closing....

But disabling the dialer also disables the phone button, yes very annoying

I have disabled the samsung dialer, get lowmem\programmem=100, keep the wm 6.5 locker. now with a fresh boot, I can get more than 10 apps open, and memory goes down to 20MB without problem. and can switch between them.

but the problem is that after a while, say a few hours, it is not possible anymore. I can open less and less apps. after a few days' use, it is almost back to where only 1-2 apps open. but there are still 40-50 mb of memory. what is more annonying is that once OS decides to close programs, it seems to close all of them, not just enough to free up memory.

O2 is a fantastic machine, but this is just too much a trouble.

Guest biggiesmalls

Hey all,

Stumbled across this thread while looking for some Omnia 2 RAM/app closing information. I develop applications for windows mobile devices and also experienced my application unexpectedly sometimes while in the background. (Still using official WM 6.1.4 ROM, no modifications whatsoever)

I starts closing applications when about 40 MB of ram is left. But one thing i'm still investigating is that i don't seem to get any WM_HIBERNATE messages at all.

A WM_HIBERNATE message would normally be sent to windowed applications to ask them to free any resources not in use because the system is low on resources. However my application never seems to receive a WM_HIBERNATE message, instead a WM_CLOSE message is what i get. Which (if no special precautions are taken) gracefully shuts down the application. I suppose i could ignore a WM_CLOSE message if the "Exit application" action wasn't initiated from inside the application but i think Window Mobile/Samsung utilities just start killing applications if they aren't responding to a WM_CLOSE.

However, this shouldn't be the cause of any "app closing problems" because i wasn't expecting a WM_HIBERNATE message in the first place since it shows ~40 MB of free RAM when it starts killing app. But i thought it was worth mentioning it.

Also wanted to mention another thing i noticed: (if you're not a Windows (Mobile) developer you probably won't understand a lot of what i'm saying here...)

When creating a lot of DC/BITMAP handles (Create(Compatible)DC/CreateCompatibleBitmap) it seems that the application gets killed sooner. When there's still 40 MB of free RAM left my app will get killed more quickly than say a personal navigation application. I'm not saying the navigation app is more lightweight regarding resource usage (on the contrary, taskman shows it uses ~8 MB of RAM while my app only uses 1.8 MB) but i'm suspecting the navigation application just creates one full screen Bitmap and does all it's drawing on there, while my application creates a whole lot of Bitmaps/DCs. Mind you, my application barely allocates any memory from the heap...

This is just a wild guess: Could it be that the video memory is exhausted (is this the ~100 MB reserved RAM memory?) And that, while there's still RAM left that isn't going to be used as video memory, the device thinks apps should start closing because it's low on memory (although that memory is video memory). I'm saying this because i once got an OUT_OF_MEMORY error while creating a bitmap and there was still 40 MB of free RAM. Also, while my app probably uses around 8 mb of memory because of my CreateBitmap calls, taskman shows only 1.8 MB. This seems to support the theory that Create(Compatible)Bitmap memory is allocated as video memory.

If you made it this far... thanks for reading my novel. ;)

Guest dwallersv

Smalls, it'w the best theory I've seen here so far... Do you know how garbage collection is done by WM for video memory? Or is this an OEM-specific function, therefore implemented (or not! grrrrr....) by Samsung?

As you surely know, a good garbage collector is essential, because the OS simply can't rely on developers to be good citizens about remembering to free resources. Release schedule pressures and competition always take precedence over "good citizen" coding, for understandable reasons (not saying you're like that, just noting reality overall).

[quota]

Also wanted to mention another thing i noticed: (if you're not a Windows (Mobile) developer you probably won't understand a lot of what i'm saying here...)

When creating a lot of DC/BITMAP handles (Create(Compatible)DC/CreateCompatibleBitmap) it seems that the application gets killed sooner. When there's still 40 MB of free RAM left my app will get killed more quickly than say a personal navigation application. I'm not saying the navigation app is more lightweight regarding resource usage (on the contrary, taskman shows it uses ~8 MB of RAM while my app only uses 1.8 MB) but i'm suspecting the navigation application just creates one full screen Bitmap and does all it's drawing on there, while my application creates a whole lot of Bitmaps/DCs. Mind you, my application barely allocates any memory from the heap...

This is just a wild guess: Could it be that the video memory is exhausted (is this the ~100 MB reserved RAM memory?) And that, while there's still RAM left that isn't going to be used as video memory, the device thinks apps should start closing because it's low on memory (although that memory is video memory). I'm saying this because i once got an OUT_OF_MEMORY error while creating a bitmap and there was still 40 MB of free RAM. Also, while my app probably uses around 8 mb of memory because of my CreateBitmap calls, taskman shows only 1.8 MB. This seems to support the theory that Create(Compatible)Bitmap memory is allocated as video memory.

If you made it this far... thanks for reading my novel. ;)