Best video format for I8000

Guest Mohammed Asfoor

HI

How I Can Convert Videos In same orginal 2 videos (Helicopterrs.mp4 & Classiccar.mp4) Quality ???

I want application convert videos to work full screen on Omnia II !

• 9 months later...
i am starting to download movies directly to my phone. does anyone know of a mobile program for converting?

so i don't have to use my computer

If you like to save some memory space then you need to convert movies to get a smaller file size. Also guys, let's get real about the resolution craziness. On such a small screen I seriously doubt that anyone can visually appreciate the difference between let say 720 and 480. You'll also save a huge amount of memory down-converting resolution of your video files. Now regarding frame rate. If you use Core Player, you can find there how many frames are dropped during playback. Just convert any movie with the rate of 25 or higher and check it out. From my experience there is no way core player (which is the best in term of playback capabilities and customization when you know what you are doing) and I suspect stock player as well can deal with the frame rate of more than 24. I found that MP4 files are the best combination of quality and file size. I use Format factory for my needs - never let me down. Also about playing video in full screen, there are several ways you can do it. You can either crop files before converting them this option is available in format factory. Or select option stretch to full screen when playing files. I also found that 16:9 is not the best ratio when converting files. I personally use 4:3 and play movies fully stretched to the screen size. The distortion is very insignificant. But if you don't like it you can always watch it in native, which is not that bad too.

You probably won't find such software and the reason is that if you do it on your phone directly, you are going to end up with a dead battery in about 10-20 min. Also, O2 is a powerful device but it is still just a smart phone. So even connected to the external power source, it would take you hours if not days to convert a single movie. O2 or any other smart phone hardware is not designed for use to such extent and I don't think that it is going to happen in the nearest future. I would say that battery life is probably the biggest obstacle to it.

Guest ray1234

A few points :

1) I used to think like amb123 - am I able to tell the difference between 800x480 and 720x480? I did some test and to my surprise, I can see the difference! Especially on 720p or 1080p Bluray source cartoon animations - I used 720P Toy Story 2 and 1080P Monster vs Aliens to test

2) Coreplayer can handle 800x480 24fps without frame drop, but only with overclocking - I overclocked mine to 960Mhz. 29.97fps is also fine, because this is for DVD source only and resolution is only 720x480.

3) For encoding, I don't think anyone would make an encoding software for Windows Mobile or any other mobile platform. Converting a DVD of 90mins takes about 40mins now on my desktop 3Ghz Core2Duo, on i8000 it could take 6 hours, while the battery will run out in about 5 hours time. The point is why waste 6 hours to convert it on a Windows Mobile if one can finish the task in about half an hour on desktop?

A few points :

1) I used to think like amb123 - am I able to tell the difference between 800x480 and 720x480? I did some test and to my surprise, I can see the difference! Especially on 720p or 1080p Bluray source cartoon animations - I used 720P Toy Story 2 and 1080P Monster vs Aliens to test

2) Coreplayer can handle 800x480 24fps without frame drop, but only with overclocking - I overclocked mine to 960Mhz. 29.97fps is also fine, because this is for DVD source only and resolution is only 720x480.

3) For encoding, I don't think anyone would make an encoding software for Windows Mobile or any other mobile platform. Converting a DVD of 90mins takes about 40mins now on my desktop 3Ghz Core2Duo, on i8000 it could take 6 hours, while the battery will run out in about 5 hours time. The point is why waste 6 hours to convert it on a Windows Mobile if one can finish the task in about half an hour on desktop?

Hi ray1234,

I agree that you might be able to see some difference. I, personally, don't see them but my source files are usually DVDs and I guess my vision is worse than yours; so, they are too subtle for me. However, I guess I didn't make my point quite clear. I am talking about how much you can appreciate those differences even if you can somehow see them. Another point is how many movies can you have. I don't know the entire range of conversion parameters you use but if there are no extremes like 320 audio bitrate etc. than your 800 x 480 MP4 file should be at least 2GB of memory for a 2-hour-long movie. If you use AVI format than even more. Sacrificing just a little bit, you can achieve a much smaller file size

(my is usually is 1.1 to 1.5GB for 2 hour long film, using MP4 format).

BTW what soft do you use to convert blurays to a mobile format? I know that Format factory can not do it. Can you share please? Is it a freeware or not?

Thank you

Edited by amb123

Guest triplex76
Streched option does not help as such, the converter I use does not have this 720 option in the settings so everything I do is set to 800 and the inbuilt player will not touch them as they are larger than 720.

I also hate the way the player constantly does a search for eveything just because you have added one new file.

I do not believe in editing the registry like you have to with the photo app just to limit the folders it looks in.

The app is so poorly designed that it's practically unusable.

@Doombringer have you installed Compact framework? only thing I can think off as such as to why it may not be working?

...you can disable the autoupdate function JUST deleting PlayerAutoUpdate under the autostart folder (inside windows folder)

that's all ... you don't need to edit any reg key

Edited by triplex76

Guest ray1234
Hi ray1234,

I agree that you might be able to see some difference. I, personally, don't see them but my source files are usually DVDs and I guess my vision is worse than yours; so, they are too subtle for me. However, I guess I didn't make my point quite clear. I am talking about how much you can appreciate those differences even if you can somehow see them. Another point is how many movies can you have. I don't know the entire range of conversion parameters you use but if there are no extremes like 320 audio bitrate etc. than your 800 x 480 MP4 file should be at least 2GB of memory for a 2-hour-long movie. If you use AVI format than even more. Sacrificing just a little bit, you can achieve a much smaller file size

(my is usually is 1.1 to 1.5GB for 2 hour long film, using MP4 format).

BTW what soft do you use to convert blurays to a mobile format? I know that Format factory can not do it. Can you share please? Is it a freeware or not?

Thank you

There is no point to use 800x480 for conversions from DVD, as DVD is only 720x480, you won't see a difference with DVD conversions at 800x480. You must use 720p or 1080p materials. I have a 4G card, together with the internal 8G, space is never a problem as I won't put 6 movies on my phone at the same time.

I use DIVX to convert, bitrate at 1800kbps and audio at 128kbps MP3. MP4 AVC is good, unfortunately i8000 will never have the power to decode 800x480 AVC format, so I'll have to live with DIVX at higher bitrates. One 90mins movie is usually about 1.3G.

I use Tmpgenc to convert from Bluray, Tmpgenc will take anything, be it MP4, MKV, AVI, DVD or Bluray. A 90 mins movie takes about 30-40 mins to convert. It's a give and take situation, DIVX is larger but is quicker to encode, to put it in MP4 AVC I need double the time. Time is more important than space for me at the moment.

There is no point to use 800x480 for conversions from DVD, as DVD is only 720x480, you won't see a difference with DVD conversions at 800x480. You must use 720p or 1080p materials. I have a 4G card, together with the internal 8G, space is never a problem as I won't put 6 movies on my phone at the same time.

I use DIVX to convert, bitrate at 1800kbps and audio at 128kbps MP3. MP4 AVC is good, unfortunately i8000 will never have the power to decode 800x480 AVC format, so I'll have to live with DIVX at higher bitrates. One 90mins movie is usually about 1.3G.

I use Tmpgenc to convert from Bluray, Tmpgenc will take anything, be it MP4, MKV, AVI, DVD or Bluray. A 90 mins movie takes about 30-40 mins to convert. It's a give and take situation, DIVX is larger but is quicker to encode, to put it in MP4 AVC I need double the time. Time is more important than space for me at the moment.

Thank you for sharing.

I'd like to add a little to the upconverting question. I used to think that upconverting is not really doing to make the difference untill I experimented with one very old movie with a low resolution. Given the movie was in WMV format to begin with. I converted it to MP4 with native resolution and then to MP4 with increased resolution (don't remember exact numbers), slightly decreased frame rate and the bitrate of 1200. To my surprise the upconverted movie was of a significantly better quality than the original. I have played it using both core and stock media players. I don't usually dig deep into videoformatting; so, I can't explain why it was better but it was.