Hudl 1.3.1 Update

Guest menace1944

Guest daytona955

Ok ill start find out where the drivers are and start installing.

Heres a demo of me trying it :https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6yx7zo58yq4o8s/WIN_20140525_142404.MP4?m=

Here's what works for me (but YMMV...):

1. Switch on the Hudl & let it boot.
  2. Plug in the USB cable to the PC and the Hudl
  3. Press & hold the UP end of the volume rocker
  4. Count slowly to 5.
  5. Press & hold the reset button
  6. Count slowly to 10
  7. Release the reset button
  8. Release the volume rocker

You may not need to be quite as anal at that with the timing, but just stabbing the reset button and the volume rocker does not work for me. There seem to be sequence and timing constraints.

I use a paper clip for the reset button - nothing sharp!

I usually use Linux, but just to check that my procedure works for Windows 7, I downloaded the tools & driver from Paul O'Brien's link.

After using my procedure above, I found that (as you would expect) Windows 7 tried & failed to get the drivers from the web. In devicemanager I found the new unknown device & installed the driver from where I'd unpacked the tool/driver ZIP. After that, RKBatchTool found the device. I didn't try uploading an image, I'm happy with the one I've got, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

When working on getting root for 1.3.1 (see earlier post in this thread), I did find that the choice of USB cable was important. Part way through, my Hudl cable seemed to stop working at all. I swapped it for a 2m Belkin cable, which works fine for most things (and still does), but during a download of the system partition rkflashtool froze. I then swapped to a 20cm cable, and all worked OK. I guess that the flash upload/download is not very resilient against USB errors. If you get trouble, try a different cable.

Guest Detection

What's the easiest way to root the Hudl again after losing root thanks to this update ?

EDIT - What a PITA, nothing works to root this PoS since the update, that kingstool thing doesn't work, absolutely FA works, Ive had to put the tablet away before I take a hammer to it

If anyone has a 100% working method to root after the latest update, I'd appreciate some tips because although pre-1.3.1 update was simple to root and remove the T, post-1.3.1 is not - absolutely nothing works

Edited by Detection

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Kingo Root

Works fine, I always find I need to change my Hudl's adb mode to pics instead of files to get it recognised properly, then it works as it should. I always forget that step and get really frustrated.

Guest Detection

Kingo Root

Works fine, I always find I need to change my Hudl's adb mode to pics instead of files to get it recognised properly, then it works as it should. I always forget that step and get really frustrated.

I've tried Kingo about a million times, no exaggerating - it sits forever on "Waiting for device" then eventually says "No Root" and gives a root now button, I press that, it sits forever waiting for device, eventually says checking USB, then says Failed

I`ll give a shot with Pics selected thanks

Guest Detection

Kingo Root

wow, I can't believe it, it only went and worked first time.... ive been on at this for hours and if there had been a heavy object at hand, the hudl would have had it

Really appreciate that tip, thanks

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

No Probs, glad it worked ;)

As I said, I always forget to do that and get really annoyed then proceed to kicking myself :)

You might want to carry on and try xposed framework with some nice plugins, Opens up the functionality a bit since there's no real custom roms about for the Hudl and it works fine.

GravityBox would be my first recommendation for a module too, it's got a lot of nice tweaks that you usually find in custom roms.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest flurry

As I said, I always forget to do that and get really annoyed then proceed to kicking myself :)

You might want to carry on and try xposed framework with some nice plugins, Opens up the functionality a bit since there's no real custom roms about for the Hudl and it works fine.

GravityBox would be my first recommendation for a module too, it's got a lot of nice tweaks that you usually find in custom roms.

I'll second GravityBox - I've been using it for months on my hudl for the incredibly useful option to allow brightness adjustment by sliding a finger along the statusbar

Guest Detection

Great thanks, I was actually going to look into xPosed earlier before this whole rooting episode took up half the afternoon :)

Yea its a shame there aren't more devs interested in making custom ROMs for the Hudl, it's not a bad little tablet with fairly decent specs - it could do with some KitKat love

Is there a module to enable a "Kill All" for the recent apps list do you know ? Found it

Also Im having a problem with a 64GB MicroSD Card, it works, but halfway through watching a film or something, it disappears and needs removing and putting back in to work again

Edited by Detection

Guest maxxxivo

For rooting hudt after 1.3.1 update try www.cydiaimpactor.com , it's free!

Edited by maxxxivo

Guest flurry

Great thanks, I was actually going to look into xPosed earlier before this whole rooting episode took up half the afternoon :)

Yea its a shame there aren't more devs interested in making custom ROMs for the Hudl, it's not a bad little tablet with fairly decent specs - it could do with some KitKat love

Is there a module to enable a "Kill All" for the recent apps list do you know ? Found it

Also Im having a problem with a 64GB MicroSD Card, it works, but halfway through watching a film or something, it disappears and needs removing and putting back in to work again

What format is the MicroSD card set to? NTFS? Fat32?

Guest mjcoon

Its a shame we have yet to receive KitKat, however that could be next.

But is that the version that messes with the permissions to access external SDcards, introducing severe contraints?

Mike.

Guest Justice™

But is that the version that messes with the permissions to access external SDcards, introducing severe contraints?

Mike.

It is, however patches do exist for it and I assume vendors like rockchip have implemented their own way of handling SD cards (Possibly reverting it to how it worked before the release of 4.4)

Guest Detection

What format is the MicroSD card set to? NTFS? Fat32?

I sorted it, must have been a bad format or something, I used a partition wizard to recreate a FAT32 partition and copied all the videos back to it (Which took a while) and it's working fine now

Thanks

Guest trueriver

Would recovery mode do the same thing as bootloader?

Not quite, but in recovery mode there is an option "apply update from ADB". I have never tried that, but it would be worth trying if you get into recovery mode again...

My hope would be that it prepaes the hudl for accepting ADB requests, which is what everyone else is doing from the bootloader.

Please let me know if this works, or whether it is just another blind alley.

River~~

Guest trueriver

hmm, I've never used a raspberry pi before, though if it's running debian running lxde then it may work.

first step is to set up the tools on the raspberry pi - is it 32 or 64 bit? If it's 64 bit then you can simply follow the instructions in this thread here if it's 32 bit then you'll need a 32bit copy of rkflashtool - I found one on the web from memory, or if you get stuck I can upload mine

to use rkflashtools on the pi you will need to compile them yourself (*) The pi is a 32bit ARMv6 machine, and the supplied tools are for 64bit Intel or AMD. The one flurry is offering will be 32 bit but again for Intel/AMD x86 not for any version of ARM.

And you need to conect directly to the host, not through a hub, so if your USB sockets are alreadu in use, like for the keyboard or something, then even with the correct binary it will not work.

Sorry.

River~~

(*) Or persuade the raspian maintainers, or any of the oher pi distros, to add them as a supported package.You may just be the first person on the planet to ask that question....

Edited by trueriver

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

I was asked to fix mums Tablet when I got in from work. What it looked like had happened, was reverted to stock. All the Tesco's cr*p came up, the stock launcher was present, and all my Apps I installed were missing?? A quick reboot, and it actually booted normally, exactly how I had set it up... (Odd??) I though perhaps the 1.3.1 stuck its magic.

Anyway, I downloaded Update.Zip via OTA and by what someone had uploaded here. And it fails each time I try to install it, with an Error 7 Verification...

I remember GlossyWhite did some Update.zip with Assert Checking removed...?? Has anyone done this for 1.3.1 zip file...?? I don't really want to have to revert to stock and re-install everything if I can help it...

I flashed it in Windows I believe, and what was the original TabbyDroid 1.0 image, that was stock Tesco Image (including T button, and widgets) but it was pre-rooted, and had CWM built in...

Is there a way to flash the Update, without loosing all what I have installed please...??

Thanks, Lister

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

Anyway of creating another one of these for our Hudl.... To bypass the Assert checks...?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366197-latest-hudl-update-patch-ota-modded-version-new-no-assert-checks/

As I am having difficulties getting past this update, without it failing... and I really don't like the idea of have to reset everything back up on a pre-made build of mums Tablet...

thanks, Lister

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flurry

Hi All,

Anyway of creating another one of these for our Hudl.... To bypass the Assert checks...?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366197-latest-hudl-update-patch-ota-modded-version-new-no-assert-checks/

As I am having difficulties getting past this update, without it failing... and I really don't like the idea of have to reset everything back up on a pre-made build of mums Tablet...

thanks, Lister

if you flash a rooted system image it doesn't affect the user data partition, so unless you've installed a load of stuff into the system partition you shouldn't lose anything

• 1 year later...
Guest Lister Of Smeg
On 5/20/2014 at 0:03 AM, sirius-c said:

here is a RAR file containing another backup, this one is a ROOTED stock Rom (v1.3.1) and has ClockworkMod Recovery (v6.0.3.1) Installed.
(ROOTED & CWMR)_Hudl_Stock_Backup_v1.3.1_(JDQ39.20140424.153851).rar
(809,190,185 bytes)

Hi @sirius-c

I don't suppose you still have the above file lurking about do you...??  Your DropBox link appears to have died, as has my mums Tablet and need to restore the Tablet with your awesome Stock 1.3.1 CWM firmware.... :)

Or, if anyone can guide me to the CWM Recovery for the Hudl, then I can stock, update to patch 1.3.1, then Root and CWM it...

Thanks, Lister

Guest Lister Of Smeg
On 4/27/2016 at 2:52 PM, Lister Of Smeg said:

Hi @sirius-c

I don't suppose you still have the above file lurking about do you...??  Your DropBox link appears to have died, as has my mums Tablet and need to restore the Tablet with your awesome Stock 1.3.1 CWM firmware.... :)

Or, if anyone can guide me to the CWM Recovery for the Hudl, then I can stock, update to patch 1.3.1, then Root and CWM it...

Thanks, Lister

@sirius-c / Anyone have this rom sitting on their Hard Drive anywhere...... Please???? :)

Thank you, Lister

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lister Of Smeg
On 5/3/2016 at 1:28 PM, CaptainMidnight said:

Hi are you still after this?

Hi @CaptainMidnight

Apologies, I've been putting off trying to reset my mums Hudl... (ie: slowly, slowly, catch a monkey) and been doing backups of the Apps (with Data) as for the life of me, I won't be able to remember the passwords I setup for her when I first set the Tablet up... / although can remember most to be fair.

But yeah, hopefully in next couple of weeks I'd like to have another stab at restoring the Tablet.... So yes, if you have the file mentioned above, that would be most appreciated please.... :)   / save me a lot of hassle... :D

Thanks, Lister

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi @CaptainMidnight

Sorry to bother you, but if you do have this file lay about some where.... Would be very useful as got my ole ma nagging me to restore her Tablet, and this would make it a damn sight easier....

Many thanks, Lister

On 4/29/2016 at 8:24 AM, Lister Of Smeg said:

@sirius-c / Anyone have this rom sitting on their Hard Drive anywhere...... Please???? :)

Thank you, Lister

On 5/3/2016 at 1:28 PM, CaptainMidnight said:

Hi are you still after this?