OK so how can we get Lollipop rooted ?

Guest samac

My intention on starting this thread was to get a number of people to actually collaborate to try to  A) root the new update and B) learn something. As I have mentioned on a number of occasions I know Linux but am an Android Newbie. It is not and has never been my intention to do all the work. So if any one else would like to chip in .....

It's been 12 days since my minor rant and no one has chipped in .....

So I guess I'll call it a day and hope that Paul O'Brien can get Lollipop on the Hudl2 rooted.

samac

I would have a go but since its my kids and a broke the last one messing I'm not brave enough so I'm out I suppose. I did create my own zip by editing to get me past the errors for the pre-update but then building the new pre-rooted rom I got bootloop. You have to remember that even though Android is based on Linux it's not like Linux. Lollipop hasn't to my knowledge been rooted at this time.

Yes for the nexus line and the like which requires modified boot img = Kernel which requires unlocked state bootloader which we don't have what hasn't happened yet is root for locked bootloader

Guest Sparkey159

Kingroot claims to have a method of rooting Lollipop 5.1.

I attempted it but it failed. Maybe they will release a new method with a higher success rate in the near future. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldscot
On 09/12/2015 at 6:14 PM, Jinx13 said:

Yes for the nexus line and the like which requires modified boot img = Kernel which requires unlocked state bootloader which we don't have what hasn't happened yet is root for locked bootloader

I've been impressed by the way that over on xda the got into the Amazon Fire 2015 which has a locked boot loader. Not only rooted but now various custom ROMs available. Even the latest update of fireOS which is even more heavily locked down has now been opened. Of course I know nowt about it,but are there any clues to be gained from their methods?

Guest dennissingh99
On 17/10/2015 at 0:50 PM, samac said:

Had to download sdat2img.py and followed the instruction on this page http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/how-to-conver-lollipop-dat-files-to-t2978952

I now have access to to the file system, @vampirefo do you mean using the same method as you released for KitKat?

I guess I now have to learn how to explode an apk so I can find where to put su.

samac

With the ability to write to the system partition, can this command just work with the SuperSU. Zip file.

adb adb push su /system/xbin/su

adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su

adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

adb install Superuser.apk

@dennissingh99

You can't write to the /system partition on the Hudl2 so those command won't work, but you can tear apart the update and access /system there and add in those files, but when you put it back together it doesn't load because of a signature error.

samac

Guest dennissingh99
1 hour ago, samac said:

@dennissingh99

You can't write to the /system partition on the Hudl2 so those command won't work, but you can tear apart the update and access /system there and add in those files, but when you put it back together it doesn't load because of a signature error.

samac

Oh i understand now, just had to read through all of the previous posts again to realise, sorry about that. I was thinking, couldn't we take a full backup of the /system from the hudl 2 itself and then modify that image file and flash that back using fastboot just like paul may have had done when the hudl 2 was rooted for the first time?

EDIT - Actually, the fact that we get a system.img after extracting .zip ota with the python script would be even useful right? because we can now just use that img file to flash with using the fastboot command. Please tell me if it works because im still in the process of learning how to modify the files.

Edited by dennissingh99

Guest vampirefo
1 hour ago, samac said: @dennissingh99

samac

Oh i understand now, just had to read through all of the previous posts again to realise, sorry about that. I was thinking, couldn't we take a full backup of the /system from the hudl 2 itself and then modify that image file and flash that back using fastboot just like paul may have had done when the hudl 2 was rooted for the first time?

EDIT - Actually, the fact that we get a system.img after extracting .zip ota with the python script would be even useful right? because we can now just use that img file to flash with using the fastboot command. Please tell me if it works because im still in the process of learning how to modify the files.

I don't have this device, but if you have access to a system.img why not flash it via fastboot, just to see if you can, if it works then modify the system.img and add root then flash it.

Guest dennissingh99

@vampirefo Well I tried to do that but I get a error with fastboot. It says "Invalid sparse file format at header magi" Could you please tell me what that means. If you need me to upload the system.IMG then I'll also do that. Thanks for the help

Guest dennissingh99

@vampirefo Well, after some more trying i was able to get a little past that error but now have stumbled across another one. This time it says that it is not permitted to erase the /system. On the tablet it also shows an error... Well its back to trying to unlock the bootloader again. Ive also attached the boot.img, the droidboot.img and the esp.zip so that you can see if it is possible to do anything. Files for bootloaderWP_20151228_15_07_05_Pro.jpg.2c9272eca1f

Guest dennissingh99
1 hour ago, Grunger said:

I've been following the topic too, would love to be able to root!

another question then......would it be possible to downgrade from 5.1?

I don't think it would be possible to downgrade because we can't really flash anything onto the tablet anymore

Guest vampirefo

1 hour ago, Grunger said: I've been following the topic too, would love to be able to root!

another question then......would it be possible to downgrade from 5.1?

Well that's kind of how we rooted 5.1 on other devices so far, flashing 5.0 fastboot, using it to run tethered recovery, root the device then flash 5.1 fastboot back.

However myself nor SDC or anyone I know has this device that has the skills to do that, I have no interest in trying to blindly walk someone through it.

That method can render a device unbootable or it can allow tethered recovery, there are too many variables to try and teach someone, either a person knows what they are doing or they don't.

Guest vampirefo
@vampirefo Well, after some more trying i was able to get a little past that error but now have stumbled across another one. This time it says that it is not permitted to erase the /system. On the tablet it also shows an error... Well its back to trying to unlock the bootloader again. Ive also attached the boot.img, the droidboot.img and the esp.zip so that you can see if it is possible to do anything. Files for bootloaderWP_20151228_15_07_05_Pro.jpg.2c9272eca1f254a67f4a7b3da3983354.jpg

I will flash your fastboot to my 5.0 Intel to see if they are compatible, if it flashes correct to my device, it should block tethered recovery and perform exactly as it does on your device.

If all goes well, then my fastboot should be compatible for your device for the purpose of starting tethered recovery and applying root.