OK so how can we get Lollipop rooted ?

Guest samac

Guest speakeasy
7 hours ago, enjoliveur said:

So if my hudl2 goes wrong any time in the nexy 6 years, I'll be straignt onto Tesco asking them to repair/replace the product.

Excellent!

Guest fcallum77

denissingh said that the bootloader was unlocked on KitKat. Is there any way to get the Hurl 2 back to KitKat in order to root it? If that is possible then would we be able to get it back to lollipop?

Guest mhardyman

A bit off topic but after installing Tesco Clubcard app it said I couldn't use it as my device (nexus 5) was rooted. I think it shows the Tesco mindset on this issue. Hope Hudl lollipop can be rooted, wish I never upgraded.

Guest dennissingh99
4 hours ago, fcallum77 said:

denissingh said that the bootloader was unlocked on KitKat. Is there any way to get the Hurl 2 back to KitKat in order to root it? If that is possible then would we be able to get it back to lollipop?

No sorry it is not possible to go back to KitKat

Guest BlackenedEDIT

I've been talking to Tesco for a while, and the very last email I received is below.

I eventually asked for the keys / software to sign packages.

Thank you for taking the time to get back in touch with Tesco Technical Support.

Due to the EULA Licensing agreement we are unable to provide any information which would assist in any way the modification of the Android system software.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

So a total no go from their end. 

Guest dennissingh99

Does anyone have a hudl 2 that they are willing to open up so that we can try to disable secure boot by flashing onto the SPI chip like someone else on this forum had done before?

Guest fcallum77

-

8 hours ago, dennissingh99 said:

Does anyone have a hudl 2 that they are willing to open up so that we can try to disable secure boot by flashing onto the SPI chip like someone else on this forum had done before?

Sorry, I have a hudl 2 but I can't open it up and flash things.

Guest dennissingh99
27 minutes ago, pdaley said:

Hi,

This might be a really silly suggestion, but would android-flashfire work:

https://plus.google.com/communities/116661625291346007584

This can flash a custom ROM on an Amazon Fire 5.1.1 with locked bootloader.

Regards...

Root is required for this to work and the only reason that we are messing around the bootloader right now is for gaining root access. So after that, we may be able to possibly use this but only time will tell when that's gonna be. Keep questioning Tesco, they may feel sympathy for us someday.

Guest vampirefo

I did do a little searching and found a tablet similar to your hudl2, in that it has 5.1 and is an intel, http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/i-708q.html

I am trying to find this tablet, so far no luck but I was able to get the company to give me the software for it, still looking through the software, looks like they provide fastboot commands I haven't seen before to get the bootloader to unlock, temporarily and fastboot commands to flash system.img which is again different then any commands I have seen.

Then is be it a slim chance that might work on hudl2, seeing both are similar running 5.1 with locked bootloaders, I am sure hudl2 still needs to it id in fastboot commands.

Guest dennissingh99
10 minutes ago, vampirefo said:

I did do a little searching and found a tablet similar to your hudl2, in that it has 5.1 and is an intel, http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/i-708q.html

I am trying to find this tablet, so far no luck but I was able to get the company to give me the software for it, still looking through the software, looks like they provide fastboot commands I haven't seen before to get the bootloader to unlock, temporarily and fastboot commands to flash system.img which is again different then any commands I have seen.

Then is be it a slim chance that might work on hudl2, seeing both are similar running 5.1 with locked bootloaders, I am sure hudl2 still needs to it id in fastboot commands.

Oh that's a relief. Thanks for the information. Could you please post the commands that you have found. I'll try them and will let you know how it goes. 

Guest vampirefo

Here are some of the scripts with commands, and their own fastboot binary,

http://www.mediafire.com/download/43a6ia64xil1zwn/i708Q+firmware+0815.zip

Please don't try all the commands as they could do damage.

Look at these

These are new to me, as well as others.

they issue first command below before they issue normal  fastboot oem unlock, then to install system.img they add -S200M to that line. 

sudo fastboot oem enable_oem_unlock

sudo fastboot flash -S 200M system system.img

sudo fastboot oem verified

Edited by vampirefo

Guest social-design-concepts

hi people so can someone get me up to speed, i do intend to read through this whole thread later after my little girl goes to bed but for the sake of hoping to help out maybe someone can provide me with some background on whats been tried, and links to the kitkat backup and the 5.1 ota?  alsio is dnx mode still available?  normally three button power on or adb reboot dnx? 

lol i'm a noob again ! ! !  

Edited by social-design-concepts

Guest vampirefo
@vampirefo Well I tried that but like before it just says that oem commands are not permitted. I do not think fastboot does a single thing on the hudl 2.

I have been taking to sdc, he is the best at Intel, please provide him links to 5.1 OTA.

If this device can be rooted sdc, is the guy that can do it.

Guest dennissingh99

@social-design-concepts Hi SDC welcome. The problem with this tablet is that it cannot be rooted at all using android 5.1. We've tried to do everything that we can possibly do. The main problem is the fact that we are not able to do anything with fastboot. When we try to use any command in fastboot we get the an error saying that the action is not permitted. If you need any more information just ask for it. Here is a link to the ota file for android 5.1.

http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.php?file=hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip

@vampirefo Thanks for your help.

Guest social-design-concepts

@dennissingh99 do you have a backup of the older rootable rom by chance? I suspect the fastboot commands not working to be do to the enhanced anti-theft requirements of android-5.1.x :

Beyond that, security-state transitions require users to physically confirm that the change is desired using the device's buttons. That will help defend against malware that might surreptitiously issue Fastboot commands. In addition, transitioning to the unlocked state requires changing an option in the developer settings of the device, which requires getting past the lock screen.

Devices will be shipped in the locked state, which will prevent users from flashing or erasing any images using Fastboot. The boot and recovery images will be verified using the enrolled keystores (which will simply be the OEM keystore to start). The only Fastboot command available is to unlock the device, but in order to do so, the checkbox in the developer settings must be ticked (it is off by default).

The verified state allows flashing and erasing a subset of the partitions using Fastboot. It will not allow enrolling keystores or tampering with the persistent data block (PDB, which Boie covers later). It is a good state to choose for running user or third-party (e.g. Cyanogenmod) images, especially for developers frequently flashing images to the device. But devices in the verified state may still have to deal with the boot warning if they are using a keystore that is not OEM-signed.

In the unlocked state, "all bets are off". All Fastboot commands are available; user keystores may be enrolled or erased. While in the unlocked state, there is no verification of the boot or recovery images. At boot time, users will be warned that the device is unlocked and must press volume-up to continue the boot process.

In order to run their own signed images, users will need to change the developer setting to allow unlocking, then unlock the device. They can then enroll their own keystore and flash their own boot, recovery, and system images. After that, they can either switch to the locked or verified states depending on the desired security capabilities. Developers will likely want to stay in verified mode (so they can flash images), while users will probably want locked mode.

the problem is most manufactures probably wont expose the option to enable this.  And possibly the efi bootloader not even support it. Actually it looks like your bootloader might support it if they made the option available. And thanks for the update i'll look through it a little later today.

Edited by social-design-concepts
might is more accurate than would

Guest BlackenedEDIT

Well this topic has suddenly got exciting again. If there is any progress I'd be happy to try and compile a Cyanogen build that works on this hardware. 

I'm desperate to breathe some more life into this device, and there will surely be no other official updates released by tesco.

I'd like to add thanks to SDC and Vampirefo for all the work they already have / will undertake for the community

Guest dennissingh99

Truely agree with that, vampirefo and sdc have helped to save this tablet. Wish I could ever learn to develop these ROMs and stuff, anyone available that could possibly teach me? I don't really have much experience in this field but still trying to drag along. Really got to study for my GCSEs right now.

Guest dennissingh99
27 minutes ago, BlackenedEDIT said:

Well this topic has suddenly got exciting again. If there is any progress I'd be happy to try and compile a Cyanogen build that works on this hardware. 

I'm desperate to breathe some more life into this device, and there will surely be no other official updates released by tesco.

I'd like to add thanks to SDC and Vampirefo for all the work they already have / will undertake for the community

Wouldn't it be hard to compile cynogenmod for this device if we don't have all the kexts and drivers inside the source code that Tesco provides, or is there any way that we could use files from the tablet itself and then use them to compile the ROMs. Also did Tesco update the source for android 5.1 update?

Guest BlackenedEDIT

17 minutes ago, dennissingh99 said:

Wouldn't it be hard to compile cynogenmod for this device if we don't have all the kexts and drivers inside the source code that Tesco provides, or is there any way that we could use files from the tablet itself and then use them to compile the ROMs. Also did Tesco update the source for android 5.1 update?

A fully open device is the place to start, I've not had much of a play with this one as its not giving its goodies up, but if we can get it open and ready to flash non tesco signed packages we can really start to play.