[PORT][ROM][13.12.] Remix OS 2.0 (Android 5.1.1) for Chuwi Vi10 Plus, Hi10 Plus, Hi10 Pro, Hibook, Hibook Pro & Hi12

Guest KonstaT

Guest tomshreds
17 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

They all ship with Remix OS. The Vi10 Plus is exclusively Remix OS (if I haven't sold this device to you by now, I give up :D )

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-tablets/chuwi-hi10-plus,chuwi-hi10-pro,chuwi-vi10-plus

Avoid the Hi10 Pro. It has worse battery capacity than Vi10 Plus and Hi10 Plus. If you want Type C/4gb ram/64gb ram, go for the Chuwi Hi10 Plus. The one listed on igogo is the z8350 version, ask @KonstaT if the roms are compatible with this processor (can't remember, sorry). 

I don't mind battery life difference (Cube iWork8's is disastrous lol) since I'm almost near some power outlet, what I liked about the Pro was the stronger keyboard / tablet support (soft leather keyboard must be harder to keep on the knees?) and form factor (10.1" is already a big step from 8" for me and I hated the form factor (and additional battery weight) of my old iPad which is the same as the Plus (10.8") I think). It's me being fancy here though, really down to personal preferences. Performance and cost effective-wise I agree the Plus is the no-brainer here. (Vi10's specs are okay but from here I guess I'd rather keep Hi10's specs hehe)

Thanks for bringing the CPU point, I just noticed it has a different processor. I hope it's okay with the roms. Still why would I need a custom rom when it comes out of the box with Remix OS? (I guess if I could only install Remix OS and get rid of Win10 like I did on the Cube it'd be cool though hehe) 

Guest KonstaT
9 hours ago, fear_factory84 said:

Hi @KonstaT,

Have you noticed that in the Chuwi Remix OS 2.0 rom there is another "suspicious", possibly malware apk (virustotal) :

/addons/YouTubeOem/YouTubeOem.apk

Can you please remove it from the rom?

Thanks! I'll do that. Meanwhile, I think you can just uninstall that app normally (it's an addon app - not really a system app) and install Youtube from Play store.

I was wondering about that app but didn't look into it further. Just thought that they wanted to include the leanback YouTube app (TV version) instead of the usual one.

1 hour ago, tomshreds said:

All things considered I thought the Hi10 Pro was the best choice for me but I'm so freaking dizzy by all the different products of the same category. What's the advantage of the Plus over the Pro in your opinon? I really like the Hi10 Pro / Hibook Pro keyboard combo. Plus has different keyboard too, I'll check reviews to see the difference. Hi10 Pro comes with Remix OS so that's a big plus to me too, I guess it's available for the Plus too.

EDIT: I heard in a review that the Hi10 Pro has USB 3 Type-C which is great.

EDIT2: Plus seems to have better battery life! (8400 vs 6500 I think)

Wrote my recommendations in this post. My Vi10 Plus has USB 3 Type-C port at least. Vi10 Plus is the only one of these devices with kernel source available.

Kernel source for Xiaomi MiPad 2 was just released last week but it only has bad Winzip ports of my CM12.1/CM13 builds. :P

55 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

@KonstaT if the roms are compatible with this processor (can't remember, sorry). 

Yes.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest tomshreds

I'm now very pleased with my Vi10 Plus with the 'freezing issue' fixed.

@KonstaTWhen you said this in the other thread, that freezing issue is what I call the infamous deep sleep bug? is it the same? I guessed since the Hi10 Pro/Plus/Vi10 Plus came with Remix OS out of the box it wouldn't have sleep issues but maybe that's a different problem. Thanks for the help as always!

Guest PalmTrees
38 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

Vi10 Plus is the one of these devices with kernel source available.

Kernel source for Xiaomi MiPad 2 was just released last week but it only has bad Winzip ports of my CM12.1/CM13 builds. :P

Major selling point! Get it :D

They silently released the kernel source for the Mi Pad 2 as well!? Damn, why hasn't this been reported anywhere? You should share this on XDA. Fairly certain there is more interest to build roms for the Mi Pad 2 rather than the Mi Pad 1 from what I can tell.  

UPDATE: I shared it over at xda and gave you credit for sharing the information. 

Edited by PalmTrees

Guest KonstaT
29 minutes ago, tomshreds said:

@KonstaTWhen you said this in the other thread, that freezing issue is what I call the infamous deep sleep bug? is it the same? I guessed since the Hi10 Pro/Plus/Vi10 Plus came with Remix OS out of the box it wouldn't have sleep issues but maybe that's a different problem. Thanks for the help as always!

I've never even hear of 'deep sleep bug' on these Chuwi devices. I saw my device freeze couple few times with display off as well, so maybe...

They silently released the kernel source for the Mi Pad 2 as well!? Damn, why hasn't this been reported anywhere? You should share this on XDA. Fairly certain there is more interest to build roms for the Mi Pad 2 rather than the Mi Pad 1 from what I can tell.  

It is for those who are into customizing their devices. Average consumer probably doesn't care of even know what that means.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest PalmTrees
14 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

It is for those who are into customizing their devices. Average consumer probably doesn't care of even know what that means.

I'm well aware of that, but this will definitely spark some interest for more custom roms for the Mi Pad 2, or? 

Guest KonstaT
15 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

I'm well aware of that, but this will definitely spark some interest for more custom roms for the Mi Pad 2, or? 

Yes, everything is now possible with Mi Pad 2. It's just a matter of any capable developers picking up the device.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest PalmTrees
12 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

Yes, everything is now possible with Mi Pad 2. It's just a matter of if any capable developers pick up the device.

What are you waiting for then :D Just kidding, hopefully someone will on behalf of the Mi Pad 2 owners.

Someone really messed up CM for Mi Pad 1, releasing an "alpha" without owning the device. Oh man. Horror story. 

I have the latest Hi10 Plus (with Z8350 processor) and loving it. It came with the Remix Rom (as per OP version) and does not have freezing issues. Battery life is way better than Hi10 and lasts almost 2 days for me as against 1 day in Hi10. I mostly use for playing RR3 and light browsing but as i mentioned in other thread, dont like the display. Colors look washed out with more brightness and less contrast (I have Brightness at 0 but it still is brighter than Hi10). Tried many softwares to adjust display but unable to.

Also I use All-in-One Gestures for navigation but it doesnt seem to work with Remix!

Edit 1: Got it for just $150 last month. Also, didnt go for keyboard as i have KB from Hi10 which apparently fits this (Have not tried it)

Edited by Cashif

Guest PalmTrees

@tomshreds Kimovil is missing information sometimes in the tablet section (it was recently introduced). Vi10 Plus does come with USB Type-C and fast charge. Cheapest place to get it + keyboard is Gearbest http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_413825.html?wid=21 (device) / http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-accessories/pp_424390.html?wid=3 (keyboard). 

UPDATE: Mi Pad 3 is rumored to be announced (https://www.igeekphone.com/xiaomi-mipad-3-design-specs-features-battery-price-review-and-more/)

Edited by PalmTrees

Guest KonstaT

Updated build in the OP.

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120693269
md5:bae3c864d458192ed782d1ded5b10c9f

-remove YouTubeOem adware/malware that's bundled with stock Remix OS on Chuwi devices (see virustotal)
-add Widevine blobs from Cube iWork8 Ultimate to fix playback of DRM protected content with various media streaming apps

Guest tomshreds
7 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

UPDATE: I shared it over at xda and gave you credit for sharing the information. 

A new contender has entered the ring!

I thought 10" were too big but the Mi Pad 2 is 8 inch! :D I thought it was too costly but at this point it's less pricier than Hi10 Pro combos. (For the 16gb)

Anyone knows if we can save apps / data on the SD card with the mi pad 2? I'd take the 16gb if I can, since I have pretty big SD cards anyways here at home.

EDIT: What no TF ports?! WTF

Thanks everyone for the help!

6 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

@tomshreds Kimovil is missing information sometimes in the tablet section (it was recently introduced). Vi10 Plus does come with USB Type-C and fast charge. Cheapest place to get it + keyboard is Gearbest http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_413825.html?wid=21 (device) / http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-accessories/pp_424390.html?wid=3 (keyboard). 

UPDATE: Mi Pad 3 is rumored to be announced (https://www.igeekphone.com/xiaomi-mipad-3-design-specs-features-battery-price-review-and-more/)

Thanks for the deal hunting! Great find, I'm now hesitating between Mi Pad 2 / Chuwi Vi10 / Chuwi Hi10 Pro. Compared to my iWork8 the comparison is stunning! https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-tablets/chuwi-hi10-pro,chuwi-vi10-plus,cube-iwork-8-air,xiaomi-mi-pad-2

Edited by tomshreds

Guest PalmTrees
51 minutes ago, tomshreds said:

Great find, I'm now hesitating between Mi Pad 2 / Chuwi Vi10 / Chuwi Hi10 Pro. Compared to my iWork8 the comparison is stunning! https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-tablets/chuwi-hi10-pro,chuwi-vi10-plus,cube-iwork-8-air,xiaomi-mi-pad-2

Chuwi Vi10 Plus 8400 mAh + kernel source available. Quick Charge. Remix OS only (which is good, since that's what you prefer). 

Chuwi Hi10 Plus 8400 mAh + z8350 SoC. Quick Charge. Windows 10 +  Remix OS. 

Chuwi Hi10 Pro 6500 mAh. Windows 10 + Remix OS. 

Mi Pad 2 - best 8 inch tablet on the market right now considering price/quality. z8500. Windows 10 + Android 5.1 (MIUI 7/8). 

Xiaomi has been known for omitting SD extra storage options - it seems this is a past thing, as most new devices support extra storage. 

No problem, any question/guidance you need, feel free to ask. I'm well-versed in what's going on and which models to get due to (too) much research. Can't afford to buy something broken :D

Edited by PalmTrees

Guest tomshreds
1 hour ago, PalmTrees said:

Chuwi Vi10 Plus 8400 mAh + kernel source available. Quick Charge. Remix OS only (which is good, since that's what you prefer). 

Chuwi Hi10 Plus 8400 mAh + z8350 SoC. Quick Charge. Windows 10 +  Remix OS. 

Chuwi Hi10 Pro 6500 mAh. Windows 10 + Remix OS. 

Mi Pad 2 - best 8 inch tablet on the market right now considering price/quality. z8500. Windows 10 + Android 5.1 (MIUI 7/8). 

Xiaomi has been known for omitting SD extra storage options - it seems this is a past thing, as most new devices support extra storage. 

No problem, any question/guidance you need, feel free to ask. I'm well-versed in what's going on and which models to get due to (too) much research. Can't afford to buy something broken :D

Since Mi Pad 2's kernel is now open source, and it's one hell of a 8" tablet. I'm now thinking about buying this one instead. (I read of the forums that Remix OS 3 support will be coming soon, here http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=329758&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D665%26typeid%3D665) It's a bit pricey but overall I think I won't use the keyboard that much (I already have a macbook pro for the typing/serious development) so why not give it a go. I heard nothing negative so far except for the price and the lack of SD port (which sucks but I only use 12Gb on my current tablet). Thanks again for the help, it's been a wild ride! I'm happy I asked here for more input before purchasing a THIRD tablet hahaha

Edited by tomshreds

Guest KonstaT
19 minutes ago, tomshreds said:

Since Mi Pad 2's kernel is now open source, and it's one hell of a 8" tablet. I'm now thinking about buying this one instead. (I read of the forums that Remix OS 3 support will be coming soon, here http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=329758&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D665%26typeid%3D665) It's a bit pricey but overall I think I won't use the keyboard that much (I already have a macbook pro for the typing/serious development) so why not give it a go. I heard nothing negative so far except for the price and the lack of SD port (which sucks but I only use 12Gb on my current tablet). Thanks again for the help, it's been a wild ride! I'm happy I asked here for more input before purchasing a THIRD tablet hahaha

There's zero chance of Remix OS 3.0 (which is based on Android 6.0) coming to Mipad 2. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. ;)

Guest tomshreds
11 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

There's zero chance of Remix OS 3.0 (which is based on Android 6.0) coming to Mipad 2. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. ;)

I remember reading this from you (that Remix OS 3.0 wasn't coming to Z8300/8350/8500 devices) and that's what sparkled my interest! I thought Android 6.* based rom weren't really a thing (except for that CM13 build you uploaded).

Ok then, I'll put my skeptical hat back :P

Guest KonstaT
22 minutes ago, tomshreds said:

I remember reading this from you (that Remix OS 3.0 wasn't coming to Z8300/8350/8500 devices) and that's what sparkled my interest! I thought Android 6.* based rom weren't really a thing (except for that CM13 build you uploaded).

Ok then, I'll put my skeptical hat back :P

I'm not sure if I've said exactly that. There could be some brand new Cherry Trail devices that will ship with Remix OS 3.0 (Android 6.0). It's still not coming to existing Cherry Trail devices, though. Someone could attempt to port it if such firmware was to appear but you'd probably still have better changes with this device as any.

Technically you can already run Remix OS 3.0 (PC version) on these devices. Things like touchscreen, audio, sensors, etc won't work but who needs that anyway. :P

Edited by KonstaT

Guest tomshreds
20 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

I'm not sure if I've said exactly that. There could be some brand new Cherry Trail devices that will ship with Remix OS 3.0 (Android 6.0). It's still not coming to existing Cherry Trail devices, though. Someone could attempt to port it if such firmware was to appear but you'd probably still have better changes with this device as any.

Technically you can already run Remix OS 3.0 (PC version) on these devices. Things like touchscreen, audio, sensors, etc won't work but who needs that anyway. :P

I see, so it's really all about community-driven content. Any guides about porting roms? I'm a software developer (more versed into Apple & Windows ecosystem), I'd love to take a look and see if I could help with anything :P I guess it's more about finding the right drivers for the device's kernel and mix/match them until everything works fine? I don't want to bug you too much with this, I'm already following you on GitHub so I'll take a look later today. Sorry to be so far out from the topic of the thread by the way :-/ Thanks a lot for your work, I have the impression that if you weren't there, we wouldn't have much roms to play with :P

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, tomshreds said:

I see, so it's really all about community-driven content. Any guides about porting roms? I'm a software developer (more versed into Apple & Windows ecosystem), I'd love to take a look and see if I could help with anything :P I guess it's more about finding the right drivers for the device's kernel and mix/match them until everything works fine? I don't want to bug you too much with this, I'm already following you on GitHub so I'll take a look later today. Sorry to be so far out from the topic of the thread by the way :-/ Thanks a lot for your work, I have the impression that if you weren't there, we wouldn't have much roms to play with :P

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Development

Yes, that's one part of it. Especially when moving forward with newer Android version that your device is technically not supposed to run. Updating binary drivers (when available), updating kernel to work with newer HALs/drivers (needs kernel source), creating all kinds of silly shims/wrappers and other hacks when you're stuck using old/mismatching drivers for whatever reason, etc. Depends a lot on the platform, too. Some are more open source and developer friendly (Qualcomm) - some not so much. From a device maintainer's point of view, a lot of time goes into making sure all hardware is working like it should be. From user's point of view, no one cares about the hardware - it's all just expected to work. It's all about if ROM has feature x or y.

CyanogenMod is full AOSP fork so basically you can change _anything_ about how your Android works or looks and what features and applications is has. Only your imagination and skills are the limit.

If you're talking about 'Winzip' porting (working with closed source stock ROMs, porting ROMs from other devices with similar hardware) there's actually very little you can do when you run into any real trouble with hardware. It's mostly only good for adding/removing apps and editing configs, etc. Change the default launcher application, give it a new bootanimation, post it on XDA - now you're a developer. :P

This thread got way off topic long before this...

Edited by KonstaT

Guest tomshreds
15 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

From a device maintainer's point of view, a lot of time goes into making sure all hardware is working like it should be. From user's point of view, no one cares about the hardware - it's all just expected to work. It's all about if ROM has feature x or y.

I admit it must be challenging to deal with user asking for features when in fact it's not really what you're after. (You have stability first in mind)

18 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

CyanogenMod is full AOSP fork so basically you can change _anything_ about how your Android works or looks and what features and applications is has. Only your imagination and skills are the limit.

That's very cool! Their docs is pretty detailed, that'll get me started :D

20 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

If you're talking about 'Winzip' porting (working with closed source stock ROMs, porting ROMs from other devices with similar hardware) there's actually very little you can do when you run into any real trouble with hardware. It's mostly only good for adding/removing apps and editing configs, etc. Change the deafault launcher application, give it a new bootanimation, post it on XDA - now you're a developer. :P

That's interesting! It's basically rebundling an existing rom with a tweaked config and style if I understand right :P Examples of winzip porting would be like Remix OS ports I guess?

-

One last question, you said the Vi10plus kernel is open sourced. I guess it gives us the ability to go dig up the code to make better adapted roms for this specific device (and to better support it in the future) or am I wrong?

In this case, let's say for a Hi10Pro even if it's a bit of the same hardware (just a guess not a fact :P) nothing of benefits would occur from the fact that a similar product is open sourced right? For example, that Remix OS port you did for Hi10/Vi10. You fixed a freezing issue for Vi10/Hi10 Plus but is it available for the Hi10 Pro too? Or since the Hi10Pro's kernel isn't open sourced you can't make a fix for this particular device? I'm trying my best to make my question clear hehe

Thanks a whole lot for your detailed answers!

Guest Richtj999

Hi,

So I have a Hi10 Pro which started with Remix B2016081102.  I then flashed Twrp booted into recover using adb reboot recovery.

Once in, I wiped System & formatted.

I then flashed: 

1.       RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus.zip

2.       RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus-Hi10Pro.zip

3.       vi10plus-widevine.zip

Rebooted & chose the android boot open (vs the windows one).  Everything looks great!  It left the windows partition alone & working fine!  

I am running B2016092102 now!  Plus I have a nice new nandroid backup too! 

Three issues:

1.       The windows key on the tablet seems to no longer click the ‘start’ menu. 

2.       Physical Enter key on keyboard no longer wakes the device (making you have to press the tablet power button).  The keyboard light does turn on for a sec but never gets the screen going.

3.       Physical keyboard no longer is able to punch in the lock pin code (numbers in my case).  Keyboard seems to be non functional until on screen keyboard is used for lock. 

I am not sure if the physical keyboard issues are related to a wakelock.  In the past anytime I started tapping on the keyboard, the screen would light up & take the numbers if plugged in.

In the past when unplugged, I would have to hit the enter button on keyboard, wait a few seconds (while it would wake) then hit the physical keyboard keys to enter pin numbers to unlock.

For testing purposes is there an easy way to ‘zip’ install the original Hi10 Pro remix though Twrp?

Thanks,

Rich

Guest KonstaT
57 minutes ago, tomshreds said:

That's interesting! It's basically rebundling an existing rom with a tweaked config and style if I understand right :P Examples of winzip porting would be like Remix OS ports I guess?

Yes, that's one example.

One last question, you said the Vi10plus kernel is open sourced. I guess it gives us the ability to go dig up the code to make better adapted roms for this specific device (and to better support it in the future) or am I wrong?

Yes, having kernel source is the main reason CM13 is currently in fairly decent shape. It's also good news for mainline Linux porting e.g. if you want to run some 'real' Linux distribution at some point.

In this case, let's say for a Hi10Pro even if it's a bit of the same hardware (just a guess not a fact :P) nothing of benefits would occur from the fact that a similar product is open sourced right? For example, that Remix OS port you did for Hi10/Vi10. You fixed a freezing issue for Vi10/Hi10 Plus but is it available for the Hi10 Pro too? Or since the Hi10Pro's kernel isn't open sourced you can't make a fix for this particular device? I'm trying my best to make my question clear hehe

Hi10 Pro actually has close enough hardware that it works with Vi10/Hi10 Plus kernel (besides capacitive Windows/home button because of different screen/touchscreen resolution). Let's take Hibook Pro & Hi12 as an example instead. No kernel source available for those devices so it's not possible to make fixes for those devices either. That's also the reason why I had to drop support for Hibook Pro & Hi12 with the latest CM13 build.

Guest KonstaT
33 minutes ago, Richtj999 said:

3.       vi10plus-widevine.zip

Already included in the build that is in OP. No need to flash that anymore.

Three issues:

1.       The windows key on the tablet seems to no longer click the ‘start’ menu. 

2.       Physical Enter key on keyboard no longer wakes the device (making you have to press the tablet power button).  The keyboard light does turn on for a sec but never gets the screen going.

3.       Physical keyboard no longer is able to punch in the lock pin code (numbers in my case).  Keyboard seems to be non functional until on screen keyboard is used for lock. 

1. Has it ever worked as 'start' button? AFAIK it's supposed to be home button. Or doesn't it work at all?
2. Yes, this is because of the keyboard wake fix.
3. Also likely because of the keyboard wake fix.
You can rename/remove /system/usr/idc/LIZHICHIP_USB_Keyboard.idc for testing purposes (2&3).

For testing purposes is there an easy way to ‘zip’ install the original Hi10 Pro remix though Twrp?

No, not through TWRP. You can fastboot flash the original stock Remix OS system/boot images.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Richtj999
13 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

You can rename/remove /system/usr/idc/LIZHICHIP_USB_Keyboard.idc for testing purposes.

No, not through TWRP. You can fastboot flash the original stock Remix OS system.img.

I will give the keyboard renaming a try.  It might explain how the battery always died so fast in standby in Android & how long the battery lasted in windows though.  

Just so I am clear to fastboot flash the stock Remix os.

To fastboot flash the original I can do:

fastboot flash system.img using the Hi10 Pro Android images-factory-cw_hi10pro_eu-2.0-5.1.1-B2016081102-signed from Chuwi's website

Or 

Use the intel phone flash tool, open it point it to the flash.json, choose (blank, blank_without_gpt, or update) then hit "start to flash" to get it back to factory?  

Thanks so much for your help - this is great!  

Guest KonstaT
27 minutes ago, Richtj999 said:

To fastboot flash the original I can do:

fastboot flash system.img using the Hi10 Pro Android images-factory-cw_hi10pro_eu-2.0-5.1.1-B2016081102-signed from Chuwi's website

Or 

Use the intel phone flash tool, open it point it to the flash.json, choose (blank, blank_without_gpt, or update) then hit "start to flash" to get it back to factory?  

Fastboot flash both system and boot images from stock firmware. I've actually used kernel (boot) and kernel modules (system) from stock Android 20161102 build in this Hi10 Pro patch. There will be a mismatch otherwise.

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img

You can/should do factory reset in TWRP before rebooting to bootloader if you're switching between different ROMs (shouldn't be necessary with these Remix OS builds, but e.g. coming from CyanogenMod).

Or you can restore nandroid backup you created in TWRP. You can use Intel Platform Flash Tool as well but that seems a bit of an overkill in almost any situation (unless you've messed up something really bad).

Edited by KonstaT