Hudl 2 connects to wifi but Tesco update server not switched on

Guest Emphatic Groan

Guest Max G
24 minutes ago, Anna65 said:

Max G, were you actually able to update the apps after you got in?

Well, I did add my Google Account before initial setup. But I don't know how'll that change things. I am glad that its atleast going in after a long time.

Guest BuddyB
12 minutes ago, Max G said:

Well, I did add my Google Account before initial setup. But I don't know how'll that change things. I am glad that its atleast going in after a long time.

I'm not sure if I'm following. What do you mean about adding your Google account before initial setup? 

This is where mine is stuck. 

IMG_20190301_112629.jpg.c345ac649031a053285981fd92537928.jpg

Guest Anna65
1 hour ago, Max G said:

I have tried adding the google account at the point where the setup process asks for it (I assume this is what you mean by "before initial setup"?) even though Tesco instructions says to say No at that step, and yes it is possible to add the account here (so don't know why Tesco is saying not to) but it doesn't make any difference to the end result, I still can't use the Play Store, its blank.... ? 

I've tried about a dozen hudl2s now and not one of them will work - they either get stuck at the checking for updates stage or they do set up but can't use due to dead Play Store. As shown in my pics above. So something is still seriously wrong. I will also email the full set of photos to Tesco.

Guest PINGU121

I just do not understand why they can not revert to whatever they had before the 10/01.  If they brought a server down bring it back up.  Then think of a workaround before taking it down again.  Meanwhile we are all without the device.

Guest BuddyB

You'd think that is all it would take, but I have a theory.

I know the problem has been going on since 2017 at least. Yes, it's been intermittent, but that's because Tesco keeps pulling the server hudls use. I suspect what is happening now is they are looking for a permanent workaround that doesn't involve the same amount of resources as before. Server time is expensive and until now Tesco may not have investigated how to reduce the cost of continuing this legacy service. All Tesco may have done before now is turn on and off the original hudl service and collect a list (long!) of customers who make contact.  I think now it's finally looking at how it can reduce the hudl service use the absolute minimum amount of resources.  In essence write a workaround that enables Tesco to replace the old hudl provision with a legacy service that doesn't cost as much to run. 

Just a theory.  I'd like to think my email to Dave Lewis in January had him telling someone to get this sorted! ?

Guest BuddyB

Maybe someone's ears were burning because I just received this message 

Hello Alison

Thank you for your patience while we continue to work on the server issue we’re having with reset Hudls. 

I know it’s frustrating to be kept waiting, but I will be back in touch with you as soon as I have more information to share.

Thank you for being so patient.

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie

Customer Service Executive to the Board

No mention of trying the process on page 3. 

BTW all his replies are using Dave Lewis' email address. 

Edited by BuddyB

Guest Anna65
1 hour ago, BuddyB said:

Maybe someone's ears were burning because I just received this message 

Hello Alison

Thank you for your patience while we continue to work on the server issue we’re having with reset Hudls. 

I know it’s frustrating to be kept waiting, but I will be back in touch with you as soon as I have more information to share.

Thank you for being so patient.

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie

Customer Service Executive to the Board

No mention of trying the process on page 3. 

BTW all his replies are using Dave Lewis' email address. 

I've also had the identical email this afternoon... 

Also, after emailing them the full set of photos this morning, Tesco has been on the phone 3 times already asking for further information and I've just sent them a few more photos, which they asked for. So it looks like they are doing their best to get this solved!

Guest grocer

Followed the latest Tesco advice and my Hudl1 is now working.During start up I kept getting messages that "Play store not working" and "Google search not working" but on completion of start up the "Lets get started " appeared and ran successfully.I entered my Google account details and I was able to access Play store.The bloatware apps. loaded on start up automatically updated and it all seems to be back in operation.

My thanks to all of you who persisted with Tesco to resolve this widespread problem.

I do have one problem however.Checking the list of installed apps. I found a "SuperSu" app.,which seems to be to do with rooting the Hudl.I have not knowingly downloaded this app. but when I first had the Factory Reset problem I did try to reload the Rom and downloaded and ran some programmes from other Forum threads  (without success) and I wonder if this is where the app. came from. How can I determine if my Hudl has been rooted?

grocer

Guest Baldi80

Tried again on Saturday evening with usual connection problem results, but above sounds promising... Maybe something was fixed through the weekend?

Look forward to trying again when I get in from work and I'll post results here.

Worth noting I have had no further replies from Tesco following my initial response from contacting them. Seems strange that they're contacting some but not others with this issue. Maybe I'm not being persistent enough!?

Guest BuddyB

grocer have a look at what it says in Settings under the option that shows technical information - something like About maybe. Can't check my rooted hudl to be more specific because of the problem! ?

Guest Daveab
20 minutes ago, Baldi80 said:

Tried again on Saturday evening with usual connection problem results, but above sounds promising... Maybe something was fixed through the weekend?

Look forward to trying again when I get in from work and I'll post results here.

Worth noting I have had no further replies from Tesco following my initial response from contacting them. Seems strange that they're contacting some but not others with this issue. Maybe I'm not being persistent enough!?

I tried my Hudl 2 last night and I'm still stuck on the update screen

Guest Anna65

As you may recall from my post on Friday, after testing several hudl2s I found them behaving in one of two ways: either it is possible to follow Tesco's instructions and get in, but Play Store is dead - but I discovered on Saturday that these are now working - I can download and update apps and after that the hudls work just fine, the only thing I can't do is update Android to 5.1 Lollipop. So just like Emphatic Groan above. However, I've just turned on a bunch of the other kind - the ones that get stuck at "Couldn't check for updates" - and they're still stuck. I think it has nothing to do with having set up the Google account, it's with the build - at Tesco's request on Friday I sent pictures of the About tablet screen, which I could only do for the one I could get into, but as I remembered that the build number is at the top of the Android Recovery Menu I sent a picture of that for the other one. And I've just booted all the ones I just turned on into the recovery menu and they're all of the same build: KOT49H.rel.android-build.20141009.191216. So these guys' configuration dates to 9th Oct 2014. The ones that work are of the later build, 20151102.170607, over a year later. As I said, I've communicated this to Tesco, so hopefully we'll soon see progress with the ones of the earlier build too.

Guest Baldi80

Just tried again and did another factory reset for good measure, making sure to follow the steps mentioned earlier and not entering the Google account sign in info...

No change here. Still stuck at trying to update.

Not given up hope though as at least some seem to be having some success, so hopefully not long before they're all working once more...

IMG_20190304_172316591.jpg

Guest Anna65

Yes, hudl1s will be of an even earlier build than the early hudl2s. But the early build hudl2s and the hudl1s are behaving exactly the same so hopefully when they figure out one the other one will also start to work.

Guest Baldi80

I understand all of that, just can't figure out why Grocer seems to have got his Hudl 1 up and running?

Must be something different with their rom or something (rooted?)?

Didn't think having root access changed anything to do with this issue, but maybe it does?

As mentioned previously I'd found an eBay seller claiming that their for sale Hudl 1 had been rooted with "Kingo Root" app to bypass this problem, but can't see how this would work.

Surely the base ROM is still the same, so update request and failure would be also?